23

-"You're back for two seconds and already you've pissed off your superiors, that's great

-"You're back for two seconds and already you've pissed off your superiors, that's great. Good work."
_________________________________________

BIANCA'S POV

The sounds of the war was still coming in from across the river as we rolled into Haguenau, but compared to where we came from, Haguenau looked like a paradise. There were still buildings standing tall, buildings that we could accommodate in. Apparently we had gotten ourselves a name for breaking the back of the enemy, The Battered Bastards Of Bastogne. The name shouted glory and heroism, nothing we felt. We just did what had to be done and we didn't feel heroic at all.

"George Luz!" We heard a very familiar voice say happily.

"Yeah." Luz said and I leaned forward to see Private Webster walk up to our truck. Fucking hell.

"It's me." He said with a smile. And it immediately pissed me off.

"Come on, I haven't been gone that long." He said and I let out a scoff.

"Jesus, yes you have." Luz said and I let out a chuckle. Webster had been wounded in Holland and were sent to the hospital, neither of us have seen nor heard from him since, but here he was, clean, well rested and recovered. Something that pissed us all off. Just seeing him so filled with energy made us all feel even more exhausted and drained.

"Where is the rest of the guys?" He asked and I shook my head with a chuckle.

"This is everybody." I said.

"Sergeant Guerra, good to see you. Luz, help me up, will you?" He asked and Luz helped him onto the truck.

"Oh come on, this can't be everybody... Hoobler, where is he?" He asked and everyone was silent, it was all the answer he needed.

"Oh, and it's Lieutenant Guerra now." Martin said and Webster looked over at me and a smile grew onto his face.

"Really? That's great." He said and I felt my heart pound of anger.

"Yeah, isn't it." I muttered, taking a drag out of my smoke.

"So, uh... you come from the hospital?" Babe asked.

"Must've liked that hospital." Joe said, not letting Webster answer.

"Cause, uh, we left Holland four months ago." Joe said and everyone's eyes were on Webster and his clean and whole uniform. He was fresh as a daisy.

"Well, I wasn't there the whole time." He said, he really didn't get it.

"There was rehabilitation, then the replacement depot." He said and I let out a scoff.

"Well, I'm sure you tried to bust out and help us in Bastogne, Web." Joe said, clearly just as disappointed and pissed off as the rest of us.

"I don't know how I would've done that." He said.