The Hidden Power

Catalina pov:

I slid into the room, my identity concealed beneath the veil of an unassuming black dress and a wide-brimmed hat.

To the untrained eye, I was just another curious onlooker in a sea of investors, but beneath the surface, I was the beating heart of the Cassietta Mafia.

Tonight, I was incognito, representing my family in this clandestine gathering.

The room buzzed with whispered conversations, deals being made in the dark corners, but my attention was fixed on one man who stood boldly at the front.

Dominic Carson.

He had the look of a man who knew his power but had yet to learn its limits.

The other investors watched him with a mix of interest and caution, a subtle unease rippling through the room.

Dominic was a rising star, a mafia boss with ambitions that clearly extended far beyond his current holdings.

His confidence was palpable, and he spoke with the kind of authority that demanded attention.

I folded my arms, leaning back in my chair as I watched him. He didn't know that most of the people in this room answered to my family—didn't realize that with a single word, I could unravel everything he was trying to build.

Yet, as I listened to his pitch, I found myself intrigued rather than annoyed.

Dominic's proposal was audacious. He wanted to expand his operations, branching out into territories that were traditionally under Cassietta control.

Most men would have hesitated, would have shown some sign of deference to the unseen powers that ruled this world. But not Dominic.

He spoke as if the territory was his for the taking, as if the Cassiettas were an afterthought.

I smiled beneath my hat, a small, dangerous curve of my lips. I could appreciate boldness, even if it was misplaced.

And there was something about the way he carried himself, the fire in his eyes, that stirred something within me—a challenge, perhaps.

When Dominic finished his pitch, there was a smattering of polite applause, the kind that masked the true thoughts of the investors.

I remained still, my gaze locked on him as he stepped down from the podium.

The others would deliberate, weigh their options carefully, but I had already made up my mind.

I wanted to know more about this man who dared to challenge my family's power.

As the meeting began to wind down, I stood and slipped out of the room, blending into the shadows as I made my way to the private lounge where I knew Dominic would go. I positioned myself in a corner, waiting.

It wasn't long before he entered, still riding the wave of his confidence, though now there was a slight tension in his shoulders—an awareness that he was no longer among the crowd.

He didn’t notice me at first, not until I stepped out of the shadows, letting the light catch me just enough to reveal my presence.

"Impressive pitch," I said, my voice smooth, measured.

Dominic turned to face me, his eyes narrowing slightly as he assessed the situation. "Thank you," he replied cautiously. "And you are?"

"Someone who likes to keep a low profile," I replied, my tone not giving anything away. "But let's just say I'm very interested in your ambitions, Mr. Carson."

He tilted his head, the tension in his posture easing slightly. "And why would that be? Most of the people here are more interested in protecting their current investments than in taking risks."

I allowed a small smile to play on my lips. "True. But I'm not like most people."

Dominic studied me for a moment, clearly intrigued. "I gathered that much. What exactly is your interest in my proposal?"

I stepped closer, my eyes locking with his. "You’re a bold man, Dominic. But boldness alone won’t get you what you want. You’re stepping into dangerous territory. It’s one thing to have ambition. It’s another to know where the real power lies."

Dominic didn’t flinch, his gaze steady. "And where might that be?"

I held his gaze, letting the silence stretch out just long enough to make my point. "Closer than you think," I said finally.

"You see, you’re not just pitching to a room full of investors. You’re pitching to the people who control them. The Cassiettas don’t take kindly to upstarts who try to move in on their territory."

To his credit, Dominic didn’t back down. Instead, he leaned in slightly, a spark of interest lighting up his eyes. "And what do the Cassiettas want from me?"

I allowed myself a full smile now, one that hinted at the power I held. "Respect. Collaboration. And maybe a little bit of caution."

I paused, letting my words sink in. "But for now, I’m curious to see how far you’re willing to go to get what you want."

Dominic didn’t hesitate. "I’ll go as far as I need to. I didn’t come this far to back down now."

I nodded, satisfied with his answer. "Good. Then we should talk more. Privately."

He raised an eyebrow, intrigued but cautious. "Lead the way."

With that, I turned, leading Dominic out of the lounge and into the world of shadows where deals were made and power was wielded not by those who spoke the loudest, but by those who knew how to control the silence.