Broken, but not Defeated

Catalina's PoV

I groaned as I slowly came to, the pain hitting me in waves. Every part of my body ached, my face throbbing with each shallow breath I took.

I tried to lift my hand to my face, but even that small movement sent a sharp jolt of pain through my ribs.

I could taste blood on my lips, and I knew without looking that my face was a mess of bruises.

But I was alive. That counted for something. Blinking against the harsh light, I forced myself to take in my surroundings.

The room was cold, sterile, with concrete walls and a single flickering light above me. I was in a chair, my wrists bound with rough rope that bit into my skin.

They'd taken me. Whoever they were, they'd finally gotten what they wanted.

My mind raced as I tried to piece together what had happened. I remembered being ambushed and fighting back with everything I had.

I wasn't sure how long ago that was, but it didn't matter. All that mattered was that they knew that I was still here, and that meant I still had a chance. I refused to let them break me.

A door creaked open, and I forced my head up to see who had entered.

Two men walked in-one with a cruel smile, the other with dead eyes. I knew their type. They were the kind who enjoyed hurting people, who took pleasure in the pain of others.

They were the kind of men I had dealt with my entire life. But this time, I was the one on the receiving end, and it made my stomach turn.

"Well, Iook who's awake," the one with the smile said, his voice dripping with mockery. "Enjoy your nap, princess?"

I glared at him, refusing to give him the satisfaction of a response. I'd been through worse than this. They'd have to do more than beat me up to break my spirit.

"You're tougher than you look," the other man said, his voice flat. "But we'll see how long that lasts." They exchanged a look, and I knew what was coming next.

I braced myself as they stepped closer, their shadows falling over me like a dark cloud.

They wanted to break me to make me beg for mercy. But I wouldn't give them the pleasure. I was a Cassietta. I was stronger than they could ever imagine.

One of them grabbed my chin, forcing my head up so I had no choice but to look at him. His grip was tight, and I winced as his fingers dug into my bruised skin.

"Where's the fun in keeping quiet?"
he sneered. "Let's see how much you can take before you start screaming."
He hit me, the force of the blow snapping my head to the side.

Stars danced in my vision, and I tasted more blood. But I didn't scream. I wouldn't give them that. I bit down on my lip, using the pain to keep myself focused. I needed to stay sharp. I needed to find a way out of this.

As they continued to hit me, I retreated into my mind, focusing on Dominic. On the life we were supposed to build together. On the child growing inside me. I would survive this. I had to. For them.

The beating eventually stopped, and they left me alone again, my body screaming in pain. But as I sat there, struggling to breathe, I forced myself to think. I needed to be strong, to keep fighting. There had to be a way out.

I wasn't done yet. Not by a long shot.
Dominic would come for me. I knew he would. And when he did, these bastards would regret ever laying a hand on me.

I leaned back in the chair, closing my eyes for just a moment. I needed to conserve my strength to plan my next move.

Because when the time came, I was going to make them pay.