Truth

Catalina's PoV

The cold, damp walls of my prison had become a twisted sort of comfort-a constant reminder that I was still alive, still fighting. The days blurred together, an endless loop of pain, darkness, and the taunts of the men who kept me here. But through it all, I'd held on to one thing: the hope that Dominic would find me.

I kept my face blank as I stared at the man in front of me, the one who'd been in charge of my torment these last few months. He was different today, though. There was a cruel smile playing on his lips, one that made my skin crawl.

"You're a tough one, Catalina," he said, his voice dripping with mock admiration. "But even the toughest can break."

I didn't respond, didn't give him the satisfaction of seeing any reaction. I'd learned early on that silence was my best weapon here. If I didn't react, they couldn't use my emotions against me.

He stepped closer, the faint light catching the sinister glint in his eyes. "You know, it's almost a shame to see you like this. But I think it's time you know the truth."

My heart pounded in my chest, but I kept my face neutral. Truth? What truth could possibly matter in this hellhole?

"Dominic's been searching for you, of course," he continued, circling me like a predator with its prey. "But he's looking in the wrong place. All his efforts, all his rage-it's all wasted."

I felt a cold chill run down my spine, but I forced myself to remain calm, to keep my breathing steady.

"You see, Catalina," he leaned in close, his breath hot against my ear, "you're not in the States anymore. You've been in the UK this whole time."

For a moment, his words didn't register. It felt like they were from a distant world, one that didn't belong to the reality I'd been living. But then the realization hit me, a punch to the gut that left me breathless.

The UK.

I was across the ocean, thousands of miles away from Dominic. Everything he'd been doing, every effort he'd made, was in the wrong place. I was so far away, farther than I could have imagined. The hope I'd been clinging to started to slip through my fingers, replaced by a suffocating despair.

But I wouldn't let him see that. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of knowing he'd gotten to me. So, I kept my expression blank, and my eyes focused on the far wall as if his words meant nothing.

"Nothing to say?" he sneered, clearly frustrated by my lack of response. "No tears? No begging?"

I said nothing, my silence the only weapon I had left.

His sneer deepened, and he pulled out a small syringe from his pocket. The liquid inside glinted ominously in the dim light. "You'll talk soon enough," he said, his tone dark and full of menace.

Before I could react, he plunged the needle into my neck. I tried to fight it and tried to stay awake, but the drug worked quickly, spreading through my veins like fire. My vision blurred, and the room began to spin.

I felt my knees give out, the ground rushing up to meet me as the world around me faded to black. The last thing I heard was his voice, dripping with cruel satisfaction.

"Sweet dreams, Catalina."

And then, nothing.