Decay

Hello and welcome to the forty-second chapter!

(This song has such a entertainingly chaotic vibe and represents this chapter pretty well)

Enjoy!!!

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Izuku's POV:

Amalie: Izuku? What are you doing out here?

I startle at the sound of Amalie's quiet voice, glancing at her, my hands already going to fidget as I lean against the railing of our apartment balcony. Shoto is watching the news in the living room from the sound of it. I turn around to meet her gaze, anger and annoyance already flaring at the look in her eyes.

Amalie: This isn't healthy.

Me: Nothing I do is healthy, Ames.

Amalie: If you want to make things better, you move one step at a time-

Me: Not. Now. Amalie. Not right now.

I turn away so I don't have to see her face as I lean against the railing, looking at the high-rise apartment's urban view.

Amalie: You're missing it all again? I distinctly remember you claiming that none of this mattered.

Me: I'm not-

Amalie: Is it really that hard to let go?

I fall silent as Amalie moves to stand beside me, mirroring my position. I feel to compelled to respond, but that doesn't stop me from trying to make my voice as inaudible as possible

Me: Yes.

Amalie: And why is that?

Me: Because it was so much better back then. Back here.

Amalie: Because of me and Shoto?

Me: Because of you and Shoto.

Amalie: Doesn't that prove that it's not the place that matters, it's the people you're there with?

Me: You sound like a Hallmark movie.

Amalie: Well maybe I am.

Me: You're okay with that?

Amalie: It doesn't sound all that bad.

Me: Hallmark movies are terrible.

Amalie: You're terrible, but I'm not complaining.

Her words make my mouth twitch into a smile despite my attempts to resist it.

Me: I miss you.

Amalie: I know.

Me: A lot.

Amalie: I know

Me: Every day.

Amalie: I know.

Me: No you don't. How can you? You're... Dead.

Saying the words brings an odd feeling to the air. No more sounds of Shoto watching the news in the living room. No nuanced noises of the city. Just the balcony, Amalie, and an uncanny city view.

Amalie: I know. But you didn't for a long time. Or you tried to convince yourself you did, at least. You did the same thing with Shoto too.