52

C256 - Awake- Part 2

While on one part of Devon in the castle where people were awake as the clock moved close to struck twelve, some other people were also awake at this hour of the night. In the dark forest where the light of the moon didn't reach the ground because of the thick and lush trees, a body was being dragged by a man, and two more people followed the man closely.      

The forest was quiet where even the owls and the crickets didn't chirp loud enough for them to hear.      

"How long is it going to take? We can throw her here, and no one will know about it," said the girl who was following the man who was pulling the dead body's hand which had turned out not only heavy but had started to smell.      

"Far enough so that no one will find her," said the man, "Niles, there's a river not too far away from here. Push her over the bridge. The body will float to the next village, and it won't be our problem anymore." Niles, who was the family butler, bowed his head and continued to drag the body across the ground of the forest. The dead person's body caught dirt on its back.      

"But papa, why not bury her?" asked the girl to receive a glare from her father, "I was only asking…" her voice trailed to a whisper which was heard clearly by the butler and her father.      

"Do you know what you have done?!" her father demanded, anger evident in his voice, "This is the second person you have killed. Have we not taught you better, Catherine?!" his eyes flared, and his daughter looked down at the ground. "Niles was in the mansion, and you could have asked blood from him. Servants are one thing, but you killed the Dutchess daughter! The last time you killed someone and it took a lot of time to hide it! Do you know how scandalous it would turn that you are killing people who are of high social standing!!"      

Catherine didn't look up to meet her father's eyes. She was slightly ashamed, but she couldn't help it. Miss Layla had it coming. The words the human had spoken had angered her.      

It wasn't that Catherine wanted to kill Miss Layla, who was the young daughter of the duchess who had come to the Barnes' mansion.      

'I heard you are getting married! Is that true?' asked Miss Layla. The girl had red bushy hair that was tamed down by many pins pushed in to keep it in place.      

'Yes, you must have seen him. Sehun Heathcliff?' Catherine reminded Miss Layla, who raised her eyebrows before questioning.      

'You mean the tailorman?' Miss Layla looked as if she was confused, 'I thought he liked someone else. What was her name?' she tried to remember and then said, 'Ah some Harris' girl.'     

Catherine had laughed it off, 'You must have heard it wrong.'     

'No, no. I remember Sehun telling me that he liked her a lot. And he wanted to marry her,' Miss Layla then gave Catherine a look, 'Is he marrying you out of his own will?'     

The vampiress' eyes narrowed.      

Catherine had been in a bad mood because Sehun was not paying her the attention she had been expecting from him. She had hoped that with the announcement of their marriage, which was in less than a few days, Sehun would be more affectionate, but instead, the man was growing cold towards her. Catherine didn't like it, nor did she approve of his behaviour.      

Hearing Miss Layla tell Sehun wanted to marry Lisa, it boiled her blood, 'What do you mean?' Miss Layla was a person who belonged to the higher class, but her family used to get along with the lower families. And Sehun was a highly esteemed tailorman who was good looking. There were only a few who didn't know about him.