Chapter 18: Bonus scenes 1

Mother demon

Inosuke was shown with a few wounds on his shoulders, arms, stomach and even one on his leg. He had used both swords to slash the neck of a demon that had no head and the arms of a spider.

"Is that one of the other demons?" Tanjiro asked.
"No, at least his aura doesn't match any of them and I am guessing from the threads that this was one of the puppets being controlled," Hikaru said. Now that he mentioned they could see the threads.
"So there will be a demon controlled with no head" Giyuu said, making a note of it since he would be hurrying to the mountain after they left here.
"It was good thinking to attack the way that you did," Himejima said. Inosuke's aura got fluffy again at the compliment.

The demon began to disappear as it was defeated.
'Alright!! A beautiful slice' Tanjiro thought with a smile as he looked at the disappearing demon.

"Wait, Tanjiro's mouth didn't move," Zenitsu realized.
"It was probably his thoughts," Hikaru said, his hands clenched. He really wished that whoever was doing this would at least leave everyone else's thoughts private but it didn't seem like that was going to happen. Tanjiro winced but he was quick to accept it. After all Hikaru's thoughts had already been shown and without him complaining so Tanjiro couldn't really complain either.

Inosuke turned to Tanjiro before running towards him.
"I can do whatever you can do, you bastard!" Inosuke yelled before grabbing Tanjiro in a low tackle. With another yell he threw Tanjiro straight into the air.

"What was the point of that?" Sanemi questioned.
"It was a flamboyant throw, but is this how the two of you got separated?" Uzui asked. After all they knew that the two of them got separated somehow.
"This might actually be a good thing," Hikaru muttered.
"How so?" Rengoku asked.
"Tanjiro and I were both having trouble with either me seeing auras or Tanjiro being able to smell demons. If he is thrown that high in the air he might just be able to smell where the demon that they are after is" Hikaru explained.
"That's just weird," Zenitsu whispered.
"Hahaha of course I knew that," Insouke boasted. They all knew that he didn't but decided that fighting about it wasn't worth it.

A female demon that looked much like the rest of Rui's 'family' was shown sitting on a rock with a look of shock, fear and horror on her face and shown in her aura.
'It's defeated! It's defeated! That puppet was the fastest and strongest one! This is all because Rui came by and threatened me! Which is why I panicked... I panicked,' She thought before a noise was heard.

"We are even hearing demons' thoughts," Shinobu said.
"I guess no one is excluded in being shown," Ubuyashiki said. He wouldn't say that he wasn't curious about demons' thoughts but at the same time it felt like an invasion of privacy, even for demons.

'Above me?!' She thought as she looked up to see Tanjiro's blade pulled back as he readied an attack.
'I'm going to be killed! My head is going to be chopped off! Hurry up and think.... Hurry up and think!' She moved her arms as if she was about to attack but then stopped.
'Ahh.... But....' She thought.
'First style' Tanjiro said.

Everyone was watching, wondering what attack the demon was going to use and how Tanjiro was going to dodge it so it was no wonder that only Hikaru saw her aura. Or at least he thought he was.
"Her aura is turning from those colours to gray," Kanao said. That made everyone take a second look at the aura and sure enough the aura was losing all colour and turning gray.
"I thought that only happened once someone was already dead," Yushiro said, his eyes narrowed. He wondered if only for a few seconds if Hikaru had lied but when he saw Hikaru's face he knew there was no way that he had lied.
"I was hoping that was the only time that you would see an aura like that" Hikaru sighed as he turned so he wasn't looking at the scene. It brought back too many memories.
"It's true that aura's turn gray as they die but if someone gives up on life, if they decide that they don't want to continue to live there aura's go like that as well" Hikaru explained.
".... How do you know this?" Sanemi was the one that broke the silence. Hikaru just shook his head, he wasn't going to explain. Everyone decided to accept that.