Chapter 19: Start of a trial

Everyone was looking at Hikaru and he wasn't sure what exactly they were expecting him to say. Did they want answers? Or did they have more questions? He had no idea and even if they wanted answers, Hikaru himself didn't know them so how could he tell them.
"How is it that you knew that Rui's parents were waiting for him?" Ubuyashiki kindly asked. He was aware that all of the Hashira's were bursting at the seems to simply demand answers but he decided that it would be best if he asked instead of them demanding.
"I don't know how I knew that they were waiting for him, I just did," Hikaru said. A lot of them frowned at that answer.
"How can you just know? That doesn't make any sense" Obanai hissed.
"If I had the answers that you wanted then I would tell you but if I am honest I don't know how I knew either. It's just.... A feeling I guess" Hikaru tried to explain.
"Well I for one am glad" Rengoku said and they all looked at him with different emotions.
"After all, it doesn't show or tell us about what happens after death but it does show that once we die we might have a chance to reunite with our loved ones and I for one feel a lot better knowing that I might have that chance" He explained with a smile. That made them all go silent. All of them were thinking about the people that they had lost, the comrades that they had stood with that had lost their lives, the family members that they had lost, the friends that were gone. There were a lot of people to think about but knowing that perhaps they could see them again once they had finished fighting and living their lives, it made them feel better.
"For now why don't we take the time given to have a break and rest?" Ubuyashiki suggested and everyone agreed as they split up once more. Rengoku and Kanroji both decided that they were going to go get some more fruit and fish to eat. Inosuke decided to explore which made Zenitsu, Tanjiro and Nezuko follow him to make sure that he didn't get in trouble. The rest of the Hashira separated into different groups to either talk or glare at Akaza, Tamayo and Yushiro. Tamayo was actually speaking to Shinobu and Kanao about the different types of medicine and comparing their medical knowledge. Of course where Tamayo was, Yushiro was, even if he was glaring at the two butterfly women, he was sharing his own medical knowledge. Genya had sat with Himejima, mostly because he knew that Sanemi wouldn't attack him or anything when he was with the Stone Hashira and because he wanted to spend time with the person who was now training him. Hikaru on the other hand had walked away from them and isolated himself by the river again.

Taking off his fox mask with a sigh, he looked into the water and saw his own reflection looking back at him. Subconsciously he traced the scars on his face as he thought about everything that they had been shown. He was attempting to figure out the answers to the questions that everyone wanted but it seemed like it was on the tip of his tongue but he just couldn't grasp it.
'Sometimes I wish this thing would just get to the point already. I can understand why it is showing everything because we need to know. After all, if it didn't show this, we would have no idea about the trouble we were going to get into on Mt Natagumo' Hikaru thought.
'But instead it gives us so many questions and not bothering to answer them, I just want them to give us the answers already. It's probably impatient of me but I just can't stop wanting what I want' He thought.
"So this is where you have disappeared to," A voice said and Hikaru didn't bother to look since he already knew who it was.
"I'm surprised that you managed to get away from the other demon slayers with the way that the Hashira's were eyeing you" He said as he looked at Akaza who huffed and sat down.
"It's not like I can do anything here since you would stop me" Akaza rolled his eyes.
'Plus, something here is stopping me from accessing my demon blood art technique but I'm not about to say that outloud' He thought.
"So what is it that you want to talk about?" Hikaru asked. He was aware that Akaza wouldn't have approached him for no reason at all.
"Become a demon," Akaza said. Hikaru blinked, then blinked once more.
"How many demon slayers have you asked to become a demon?" Hikaru couldn't help but ask.
"Tch, there were a few over the years that I have asked but none of them have accepted. It's like they don't understand that if they become a demon they can continue to master their swordsmanship" Akaza scowled.
"If no one has accepted before, what makes you keep asking?" Hikaru asked, pushing back his other comments for now.
"I ask because they are strong and if you become a demon we can fight for eternity and continue to get stronger and stronger together" Akaza grinned.
'Why is it that he wants to be so stronger? I shouldn't ask just in case that's a sensitive matter,' Hikaru thought.
"I honestly don't think that you'll have any of the people here accepting being turned into a demon," Hikaru said out loud.
"Why not? Don't those Hashira understand how much stronger they could become if they became demons?" Akaza demanded.
"We know that demons are stronger than us, after all we are only humans. And it's true that continuing to work on our swordsmanship does sound good but that's not why we learn to fight in the first place. We didn't train to fight, we trained to protect. We trained so that we can defeat demons and save humans and if we were to become a demon then it would be the opposite and none of us would be able to handle that. Especially those of us who have lost so much to the demons" Hikaru sadly admitted. Akaza was silent as he thought of what Hikaru had just said.
"Anyway, you should keep thinking about that for a while but for now the timer should soon be coming to the last few minutes so we should head back" Hikaru said.
"OI DEMON!" Sanemi's snarl was heard.
"And they finally realized that you aren't in eyesight anymore," Hikaru said. Akaza clicked his tongue but followed behind Hikaru as they made their way back to the others.