Chapter 1

'Auditions for the upcoming series by Star Studios are now open! Have a chance to rise together with us! For more information, please contact Liz Marquez.’

I was scrolling through my Instagram feed when a post caught my eye. Auditions were never really my thing, especially not online ones. I had always relied on recommendations from acquaintances for any project. But maybe it was time to explore new avenues.

Without fully realizing it, I found myself searching for Liz Marquez and composing a message.

@yokoapasra: Good day, ma’am. I want to ask about the audition for your company’s upcoming series. Is it still available?

I clicked send and tossed my phone onto my desk.

“Was I too formal? What if I get rejected immediately? What if I don’t fit the role? Wait, what role am I even auditioning for?!” My thoughts spiraled until my phone beeped. With trembling hands, I reached for it and saw a message from Miss Marquez.

@LizMarquez: Hello, Miss @yokoapasra. If you're interested in auditioning for the series, we’re holding auditions this Friday at 9 AM sharp on the 5th floor of the Star Studios building. Inform the front desk, and they’ll guide you. This series will be under the GL genre, which focuses on romantic and/or sexual relationships between female characters, similar to yuri. This is an open casting, so your performance will determine the role. Feel free to contact me with any questions. Have a nice day.

My mouth fell open as I finished reading her message. GL? This was definitely new territory for me. I was aware of the genre, but it still felt overwhelming.

Despite my initial reservations, I found myself in the Star Studios lobby, fully dressed and waiting for the receptionist to call my name.

What happened to all my doubts? I sighed repeatedly, caught in a silent war with myself.

“Miss Yoko Apasra?” I stood up automatically when I heard my name, my heart pounding. Please help me, good Lord.

Amen.

“Please follow me,” a man in a suit instructed, signaling me to follow. I did, feeling like all the air had evaporated from my lungs. I could barely breathe, panting the whole way. The slow elevator ride only intensified my nerves.

“We’re here,” he declared.

Finally! But my nervousness only grew as I saw the long line of hopefuls ahead of me. None of them seemed to have secured a role yet.

Come on, Yoko. You’re better than this.

Concentrate.

I composed myself and took a seat. I thanked the man who accompanied me and settled in to wait my turn. The minutes dragged on, and my hunger gnawed at me. I was scanning the room when someone poked me.

“Hi,” a cute girl greeted.

“Hello,” I replied awkwardly. I wasn’t used to talking to strangers, but she seemed nice.

“Are you here to audition too?” she asked.

“Uh, yeah. How about you? What role are you auditioning for?” I asked, trying to keep the conversation going.

“I’m not sure yet. Miss Marquez said it’s open casting, so they’ll decide,” she said quickly.

“Oh, I see,” I said, feeling a bit dumbfounded.

“Oh, silly me, I haven’t introduced myself. I’m Melissa, Melissa Loyd. You can call me Melissa or Liss depends on your preference, What’s your name?”

“I’m Yoko, Yoko Apasra Lertprasert. You can call me Yoko,” I simply replied with a smile.

We shook hands and continued our chat. I almost forgot my nervousness until I heard my name again.

“Miss Apasra?” A middle-aged woman called from the audition room. I bid goodbye to Melissa and followed her.

Inside, I was greeted by about twenty people, all staring at me. Oh God!

This was surely a real deal.

“Good morning,” a man on the left began. His features was really compose, you can clearly tell that he was a professional.

“Please introduce yourself before we proceed,” a woman in her late fifties added.

“Uhh, ahmm. Good morning, everyone. I-I’m Yoko, Yoko Apasra L-lertprasert.” Why was I stuttering?

“Don’t be nervous, darling, we won’t bite,” a young woman in the middle said with a laugh. “I’m Wanwan, or P’wan, as most call me. I’m in charge here. This is Director George and Sofia, your acting coach if you get the role. Just show us your potential, no pressure.” She smiled warmly.

They were so nice. A staff member handed me a script and asked me to act out a scene with the emotions the panel requested. I took a deep breath and started. But then, a beautiful lady in the corner caught my eye. She was stunning, even in the shadows. Is she a staff member? What does she do here?

I was so distracted that I lost focus during my audition. They noticed, and I dreaded hearing those infamous words: “We will call you.”

DAMN THAT PRETTY FACE! IT WAS A HUGE DESTRUCTION