Chapter 27

Hours turned into days, days into weeks, and weeks into months.

I lost track of time, the sense of life slipping away once again. All my fears and anxieties returned, crashing over me like a relentless wave.

"Yoko, please open the door." It was my sister Alice, her voice muffled through the barrier between us.

But just like before, I shut myself off from the world. I refused to eat, to go out—I refused life itself. The constant knocking on the door became background noise as I stared blankly at my reflection, seeing nothing but a broken soul. The light in my eyes was fading away.

I smiled bitterly at myself, knowing I had no news of Faye or anyone else since that incident. It felt like I was back to my old self, trapped in the darkest chapter of my life that I loathed the most. The only difference now was that the pain wasn't physical—it was deeper, more excruciating.

Despite how many times I told myself to hate her for what she did to me, I couldn't muster that emotion. All I felt was grief and longing.

I missed her so much that I wanted to run back to her, to fix everything and forget all the pain. But I knew it wasn't that easy. Now that the articles had spread, I had no idea how people, especially our fans, would react.

Maybe they'd think she was more compatible with the other girl, that they made a better couple than Faye and me. And that thought terrified me. I couldn't accept it.

Hours passed, and the sun set on the horizon. Another knock came at my door, more desperate this time.

There was a shattering sound of metal, and moments later, my door was forced open. Through my blurry vision, I saw Jane running hysterically toward me. She reached me, wrapping me in a tight hug and crying.

"Yoko, what are you doing to yourself again?! Why are you doing this? I don't know what's happening, Yoko. You know I'm always here for you, right? You can tell me anything." She was crying so hard that some words were barely understandable.

Weakly, I hugged her back, feeling the warmth of her embrace.

I could see from my peripheral vision that my parents and my sister Alice stood at the door, watching us with unreadable expressions. They had no idea what had happened. I never told anyone about it, and I wasn't sure if they knew about the article and what had transpired between Faye and me. Their reactions told me they were still in the dark.

My days blurred together, each one the same as the last. I drank water and nibbled on the small portions of food that Jane begged me to eat, but I had no appetite. I felt like I had nothing to hold on to anymore.

I was ready to face my life in this endless cycle until one morning when my father rushed into my room with a mix of anger and worry on his face.

"So, this is because of Faye?" he asked, his voice calm yet seething with anger.

I couldn't say anything. I just stared at my father, tears flowing freely down my cheeks.

"We accepted your relationship with her, even though it was a new concept for us, because we saw how well she took care of you. But now, seeing you like this and then finding out about that article? Yoko, why didn't you tell us? We're your family. We would do anything to help you. Instead, we're left guessing why you're falling apart. I'm going to file a case against her."

Hearing his words, I immediately rose from my bed, panic gripping me.

“Dad, no, please. So many people will be affected if we make this a bigger deal than it already is,” I pleaded, not wanting to worsen the situation.