Chapter 43

Faye was improving steadily. We continued her therapy and exercises diligently, working to strengthen her body.

Having been in a coma for so long, her body needed time to readjust. These exercises were crucial in helping her regain her balance.

"One step at a time, love," I encouraged her as she took tentative steps. Her balance was still wobbly, but thankfully, she no longer had any complications.

I had been terrified when the doctor initially mentioned potential complications. Fortunately, their skillful care had set Faye on the path to recovery.

"I'm almost there, babe. I need to recover fully so I can make my comeback," she declared with determination. I rolled my eyes at her resolve. I knew exactly what she meant by "comeback." If there was one thing she hadn't recovered from, it was taking my teasing too seriously. She was fiercely intent on what she called her 'payback.'

"Oh, I'm scared," I teased, feigning fear with exaggerated sarcasm to annoy her. But instead of getting annoyed, she simply smiled at me meaningfully and murmured something under her breath.

'I really don't mind if she takes whatever she wants from me. I know she would never disrespect me; she's the epitome of a green flag.'

I felt incredibly lucky to be loved by her.

I couldn't stop staring at her, savoring every reaction. I had missed this so much. So very much.

"Baby, is something wrong?" she asked, concern etched on her face.

I shook my head. "No, love. I just can't believe you're here with me again. I was so scared you wouldn't make it, that you wouldn't just leave me temporarily. I was terrified of losing you, Faye." The tears welled up, unstoppable at the mere thought of that dreadful possibility.

It was heart-shattering.

"Shhh... I'm here now, okay? I will never leave you, hmm?" she whispered, holding me tightly. Her comforting words and embrace only made my tears flow more freely. I sobbed, overwhelmed.

"I would beat even death for you. I would laugh in the face of danger." I looked up at her, giving her a serious glare.

"Do you think that's funny?" I asked, but she only laughed, thinking I was joking.

'It wasn't okay!'

I really didn't like her making light of such a serious topic. It wasn’t funny, not after everything that had happened.

"Okay, baby, I'm sorry. I promise I'll take care of myself now. But if you ask me what I'd do if the same thing happened, I wouldn't hesitate. I’d do it all over again. I love you so much, and I'm willing to sacrifice my life for you, over and over again." I lightly slapped her chest, hearing her vow.

I knew she was serious, and that only heightened my anxiety. I didn't want to face that situation ever again. Over my dead body.

"I'm willing to do that too. So don't wish for that scenario to happen again because I won't let you save me. I’ll be the one to do it." This wasn’t even a threat; I was ready to make good on it.

"No way. Not on my watch." I gave her a challenging look, as if daring her to try. She seemed to understand because she sighed heavily.

"‘I'm not wishing for it to happen again. I'm just saying 'if'." I rolled my eyes, unable to argue further. "By the way, I want to share something with you, babe." My brows arched with interest at her words. Guiding her to a more comfortable spot, we settled on a bench near the hospital fountain.

"What is it?"

"I can't fully explain, but there was a moment I remember looking at myself lying on the bed. The whole scenario is hazy, some parts are clearer than others." I listened intently as she tried to explain.