11. EXPRESS CHRISTMAS

CHLOE AND DANIEL SAT AT the edge of the pool in Jay and Gloria's backyard. The rest of the family had all been there as well. Enjoying cocktails in the sunshine. Chloe stared at her glass, twirling her straw around it.

"So, it's been months since we started trying..." Chloe sighed. Looking at the camera sadly, "...And still nothing. It's kind of getting to me now. I'm thirty-one. Thirty-two in a few months time. Can I even have a baby anymore? Urgh," She groaned, throwing her hands over her face as she fell back on the couch, "Why couldn't I have not been scared of commitment years ago!?"

"Guess who's not coming for Christmas?" Mitchell's voice snapped Chloe back into reality, "Mom. She cancelled," He answered himself.

She felt Daniel's hand on her exposed thigh, squeezing it as he looked at her with concern. She sent him a quick smile, trying to reassure him that she was okay, even if she actually wasn't. 

"What?" Claire asked, looking shocked.

Mitch nodded, "In a voicemail, no less."

Chloe shrugged, "Typical. Why are you acting like it's so out of character?" 

Claire nodded, "Unbelievable, and by that I mean believable."

"Why isn't Nana coming?" Haley questioned.

"I don't know. Something about her new boyfriend, whisking her away for a cruise," Mitchell shrugged.

"I just got my gift," Jay grinned.

"What boyfriend?" Claire asked. Looking confused.

"Carl, the cruise ship captain," Alex answered, surprising everyone, "It was in her holiday newsletter," She shrugged, walking off to get changed into her bathing suit inside the house.

"Oh, I can't read that whole thing. No," Claire said, shaking her head.

"Yeah, it's terrible. I used it on the floor when I was painting the drawers," Chloe said, sipping her cocktail as Daniel nodded in agreement.

"It helped keep our floors clean, I guess," He added, shrugging.

"Yeah, after two pages about the bird she rescued?" Cam added, shaking his head.

"And by the way, I don't think you can say you rescued something if it dies," Phil spoke up, looking up from his iPad.

Cam looked at him, shocked, "It died?"