8. COAL DIGGER

GLORIA AND JAY WERE HOSTING dinner that evening. To which Chloe was looking forward to, seeing as they had the best selection of alcohol in Jay's living room bar and after the stressful day at work, she needed all the alcohol she could get her hands on, so, she arrived there earlier than everyone else. Mixing herself her third cocktail as everyone began to arrive.

"If it's stressing you out so much, why not just quit?" Gloria asked, as she Jay and Chloe stood in the living room around the bar.

"I'm not gonna quit. What else would I do if not fashion?" Chloe shrugged, "Plus, I need the money to buy a house. Living with Claire is...interesting."

"You're good at other things too," Jay told his daughter, gesturing to her with his wine glass.

"Like what?"

"....Fun."

"Wow, thanks dad," Chloe replied sarcastically before grabbing her drink and walking away.

Gloria slapped Jay's chest and sent him a pointed look, to which he just shrugged and mumbled a quiet, "What?!"

"He might not admit it..." Chloe said looking at the camera, there was a sadness in her eyes, "But I've always been 'too much' of a girl for my dad. He never really bothered trying with me."

Whilst the family began to mingle together. Jay forced Manny and Luke to make-up after the fight they had in school earlier that day and go play together, he went to sit on the couch to watch the football with Alex, Cam and Mitch joining him. Gloria, Phil and Claire stood around in the kitchen. Haley was her phone talking to a friend. Chloe sat in the dining room with Lily in her arms, bouncing the baby girl gently in her arms as she watched the strange tension that seemed to be looking over Gloria and Claire.

"Everybody take a deep breath. Let's think about getting real," Phil said, coming to stand beside his wife.

"Phil, no."

"Why 'Phil, no'?" Gloria asked, "What is Phil doing?"

"I'm just gonna say it, there's tension between you two. Bam, it's out there," Phil said, gesturing to the two women.

"I'm gonna kill you," Claire muttered.

"I think he's right. And I think we should talk about it," Gloria suggested.