10. CLAIRE'S EX-BOYFRIEND

KNOWING THAT DEDE WAS COMING round to stay with the Dunphy's so that she could attend Lily's birthday party, caused Chloe to stay back at work for three more hours than she was supposed to. She then took her time getting home, stopping at Daniel's house, just to see him; and also for the pep talk he gave her about seeing her crazy mother.

When she finally parked her car outside the Dunphy house. She sat there for a moment. Just sighing. Before finally getting out, furrowing her brows when she spotted a black limousine parked outside the house. Nobody inside it.

She opened the door, her eyes instantly widening. Standing in front of her was her mother, Claire, Phil, Luke and Robbie; Claire's ex-boyfriend. One that she always hated. He would always talk to her like she was a little baby, rather than the nine year old girl he knew her as. 

"Chloe!" DeDe exclaimed, opening her arms as she walked towards her youngest child. Wrapping her in a tight hug, "There you are! Look at you," She pulled away but kept her hands on Chloe's elbows, "Very revealing isn't it? You're never going to get a respectable husband looking like that."

Chloe stared at her blankly before glancing over her shoulder. Spotting the apologetic look on Claire's face. She turned back to their mom, "Thanks," She responded. Gritting her teeth and wishing she could just turn around and run off, but DeDe pulled her inside and closed the door behind her. Trapping her inside.

"Chloe, you remember Claire's boyfriend, Robbie?" She asked, going over to stand by Robbie, rubbing his arm.

"Ex-boyfriend," Claire reminded her. An annoyed look on her face.

"Unfortunately," Chloe muttered.

"Chloe Pritchett?!" He asked. Looking her up and down with wide eyes, "Damn, you really grew up, didn't you?"

Chloe grimaced. She didn't respond as she walked away from the group towards the kitchen. As she walked past she tousled Luke's curls and greeted Phil, steering away from Robbie. She heard Claire and DeDe close behind. As she went straight to grab a drink of wine, DeDe began to set out the dining table.

She glanced over her shoulder at her youngest, "Are you joining us for dinner? Or do you have someone you're going to see, ha!" She made herself laugh with the last statement.

Chloe's jaw tightened did her grip on her glass of wine. She was about to decline the generous offer, when Claire placed her hand over her elbow, squeezing reassuringly but also sending her a hard look that said she didn't want to be left alone in this mess.

"She's joining us."

"Goodie," DeDe commented, turning back to place a plate down for Chloe.

"Isn't it just," Chloe commented bitterly. Sipping her wine as she glared at her sister.