11. I HATE CLOWNS

LUKE'S ELEVENTH BIRTHDAY PARTY WAS in full swing at the Dunphy home. The whole family was there. All of Luke's classmates and friends. June, Zac, Nicole and Daniel had also been invited. Dylan had also come, although, by the look on Claire's face, Chloe knew that Haley had invited her boyfriend without asking her mom if she even could. 

They had really gone above and beyond for the young boy. From bouncy castle, to a rock-climbing wall, to a reptile show, snow cone machine, karaoke station inside the house and even a craft table that Claire was sitting at. Balloons and banners filling not only the living room but the whole garden as well. 

Chloe stood in the middle of the garden. Grimacing as she watched Nicole running around her in circles, screaming her head off. The black haired woman just stared at her. Wondering what on earth was going through the mind of the kid. 

"You look like you're having fun."

She glanced up. Watching as Daniel approached her, an amused smile on his face and two snow cones in his hands.

"Oh, yes," Chloe nodded sarcastically, "This is definitely my kind of crowd."

She flinched when Nicole's scream got even louder.

"Seriously. How do you cope with this?" She questioned, looking at Daniel.

He laughed as he knelt down to stop his niece, "Why don't you go on the bouncy castle instead?"

Nicole nodded and then ran off. Her blonde hair flowing behind her.

"Thank you," Chloe said appreciatively, "Honestly I don't remember her being this level of crazy when I lived with them."

Daniel laughed as he nodded, holding out a snow cone, "Yeah. I think she's doing it to get the attention before the baby comes. Cherry snow cone?"

Chloe glanced at the red snow cone in his hand. She nodded and took it, thanking him as she did so, "How did you know this is my favourite flavour?" She asked, looking back up at him.

He shrugged, "Good memory, I guess," He bit his lip as he looked down at the orange snow cone in his hand, "So, your boyfriend not here?"

Chloe raised a brow, "You're asking because...?"

Daniel shrugged, "Just making conversation."

"Hmm," Chloe nodded, not believing him, "Well, no he isn't here. And also he isn't my boyfriend. We just went on a few dates, but it's not gonna work out."

Daniel nodded understandingly, part of him felt relieved but the other tried to push his feelings down, knowing very well that Chloe had changed quite a lot, and from what June had told her, pretty much sworn off any serious relationship. Only having hook ups and causal fun rather than looking for anything long-term.