18. JAY'S BIRTHDAY

CHLOE CHEERED LOUDLY WHEN SHE saw Daniel walking into Jay and Gloria's house. She skipped over to her boyfriend. Throwing her arms around him and swaying him side to side, almost making them both fall over, and they would've if it wasn't for Daniel's quick reflex and his sober body keeping them upright.

"You seem happy," He chuckled. Pulling back to look at her. She was still dressed in her cowgirl costume. 

She nodded, "It was a great day. Oh, my God! Do you know what we should do? We should totally run away to Las Vegas and get married! Yeah! Should we?"

Daniel grinned and placed his hands on her shoulders, keeping the bag with Jay's birthday gift in his other hand, "How about we talk about it when you're sober, eh?" He asked. He wanted nothing other than to marry the woman standing in front of him. But he wanted them both to be of sound mind when they make the plans.

Daniel sat on the couch. A nervous smile on his face. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box. Opening it up, "I bought it when I was in Michigan. Just in case," He confessed, "I've just been too scared to do it yet. June helped me pick it out. She said Chloe would love it, but I'm scared that she would think we're moving too fast."

Chloe nodded.

"I found your phone," He told her, pulling it out of his jeans. He heard it ping in his glove compartment when he was driving back home to get changed.

"Thank you, could you keep it? I don't have any pockets."

Daniel nodded and put it back into his pocket. Watching as Chloe bounced away over to Mitchell. Who was also clearly drunk as well as they two of them laughed hysterically together, standing near the stairs. Cam who was walking past with Manny, just looking between the pair in confusion.

Once Dan spoke to Jay, handed him his birthday gift and wished him a happy birthday, he was suddenly pulled into the tightest hug ever by Claire. 

"Thank you!" Claire said. Squeezing him, "You brought the real Chloe back to us."

He wasn't sure what she meant by that. But when he looked over his shoulder and spotted his girlfriend standing with Mitchell. Both of them laughing hysterically at something, he realised just how at peace she had been looking lately. How much calmer she had become. How much she was finally looking forward to the future. 

He wrapped his arms around Claire, patting her on the back as they hugged. When they pulled away, the blonde woman ran off to her siblings whilst Dan stood there. Watching the way they interacted. He hadn't seem them laugh as much as he had in the last few minutes since ever. With a small smile on his face, he walked back over to Jay.