Chapter 43:

The days had passed each one bringing a mix of my healing and heartache. Today, however, was different. It was a special day—a day of bittersweet memories that now heavily on my heart. Because today is Liam’s birthday, yes my love's birthday.

      The sun go up and high in the sky as I made my way to the cemetery. Each step felt like an enormous effort, my body and heart burdened by the weight of today. It was Liam’s birthday, a day that should have been filled with joy and laughter. Instead, I found myself walking towards his grave, clutching a small cake, his favorite flowers, and a basket of the foods he loved.

     The cemetery was a quiet place, the silence almost overwhelming in its completeness. I found my way to his resting place, a small plot shaded by an ancient oak tree. The headstone, with his name in it, it stood as a silent reminder of the life and love that had been taken from me too soon.

     I knelt beside his grave, my hands trembling as I arranged the flowers—a bouquet of bluebells and lilies, just like the ones he had brought me on our first date. I placed the cake carefully beside the flowers, a simple chocolate cake with raspberry filling, because it's  his favorite. A single candle stood in the middle, waiting to be lit.

    My heart ached as I struck the match and blow the candle, the small flame flickering bravely against the breeze. I took a deep breath, trying to steady myself, and began to play my violin so I can sing a Happy birthday song.

Happy birthday, Liam,” I whispered, The tears fall down, blurring my vision as I tried to continue.
H-ha-ppy birthday, L-Liam,” as I continue, “Happy birthday to you…”.  The melody faltered as I broke down, the pain of his absence overwhelming me. “Happy birthday, dear L-Liam… Happy birthday to you.”

I collapsed to the ground, my tears fall freely. “I miss you so much,”I wish you were here. I wish I could surprise you with this cake and see your smile.”

     The world around me seemed to fade as I was full by my grief. I sat down beside the grave, the candle’s flame a small sign in the gathering shadows. I opened the basket and began to set out the food—small sandwiches, a container of fruit salad, and a bottle of his favorite wine. Each item was a painful reminder of the life we had shared, the simple joys that had made our time together so precious.

Thank you sweeties.

-ssel©

🤍