Chapter Twenty-Eight

"How long..?" Johnnie asked, leaning his face into Jake's touch.

"Since we first met." Jake replies, his voice is soft and tender. "I was instantly drawn to you, and I couldn't stop thinking about you. You're funny, kind, and so handsome. I've never felt this way about anyone before, and I'm so glad that I finally had the courage to tell you how I feel."

Johnnie covered his mouth at the realization. His emo eyes are wide and surprised. "So, since we were teens..?"

Jake nods, a little embarrassed by his admission. "Yeah, pretty much since we were teenagers. I tried to move on and date other people, but it never felt right. I always found myself comparing them to you, and I realized that I was still in love with you."

Johnnie blushes as he grabs Jake's hands. "I just realized I fell for you a few weeks ago.. I think it was the day we actually reunited."

Jake's eyes light up at the news, and he can't help but smile. "Really? You fell for me too? That's amazing!"

He leans in and kisses Johnnie again, this time with more passion and urgency. He can't believe that they've both been in love with each other all this time, and he's so grateful that they've finally found each other again.

Johnnie returned the kiss and pulled back.  "You had a lot of internalized homophobia though, didn't you..?"

Jake nods, feeling a little ashamed of his past behavior. "Yeah, I did. I was raised in Kansas, haha and I was taught that being gay was wrong. It took me a long time to accept my sexuality, and even longer to accept that I was in love with you."

"Well, that's over." Johnnie squeezes Jake's hands. "If anything, you're a pretty good guy, Jake. You're accepting and loving for anybody, no matter who it is. And I like that about you."

Jake smiles warmly at Johnnie's words, feeling a sense of pride and validation. He's worked hard to overcome his internalized homophobia and become a better person, and it's nice to hear that his efforts have been noticed.

"Thank you, that means a lot to me. I'm glad that I've grown and changed, and I'm so grateful to have you in my life. I love you, Johnnie."