12

~ Chapter Twelve: Birthday Party ~

"Miss Emma, oh, miss Emma! Please, do wake up!" Maxe was whispering, shaking my arm, almost violently.

I rubbed my eyes and rolled on my side. "Maxe, what are you doing?"

     I looked at her and saw she looked nervous. "I came to tell you, Miss Emma, that-"

I picked Maxe up and sat her on the bed. "Maxe, honey, what is it?"

"There's people here. Maxe does not know what is happening. Maxe heard master say that many people will be here.

"Many people?" I groan and rub my eyes, looking at the clock.

"Oh, bloody hell." I stepped away. "It's ten am. I've over slept!"

"Miss Emma, what is today's date?"

I looked back at Maxe, a small smile forming at my lips. "Today is May seventh." My birthday.

I almost forgot today is my birthday. I have never been so thankful for Maxe in my life.

"May seventh? No, Maxe cannot believe that is correct. That would mean your eighteenth birthday." She scratched the top of her head.

I opened my mouth to say that it is my birthday, but she hushed me. "Oh well, what the matter? Now, go get ready."

I gave her a quick hug before heading straight into the shower, then changing into a black skirt, a black crop top with lace long sleeves, and a red and black plaid sleeveless shirt. My mom knew what house I am in, so she bought me a pair of Gryffindor heels.

I curl my hair and look at myself in the mirror. I hardly recognize myself in the mirror. I looked so pretty.

-

"Maxe, what time is it?" I ask nervously.

"It's one pm, Miss Emma. Maxe wants to wish Miss Emma a happy and wishful birthday," she says, smiling.

"Ah, thanks, Maxe. You want to go down there with me?" I ask her.

"Are you sure, Miss Emma?"

"Of cou-"

There was a knock at my door, interrupting me trying to help her people anxiety.

"Em," Mom says softly, stepping inside my room. "The guests are going to be here soon."

"Okay. I'll be right down. Who is already here? Maxe said that people were here this morning."

"Oh, that was no one. Just some people your dad and I hired to help set up for the party."

We already had set up for the party yesterday and the day before that, but since she wants today to be perfect, I'll let it slide.

"Okay, so no guest is here yet?"

"Just come down." She says, walking out of my room. I frown and turn back to Maxe, who apologetically smiles at me before following Mom out of the room.