5

~ Year 5~
~ Chapter Five: Did you think I would give up that easy? ~   

Once we return to Hogwarts, we learn that Dolores Umbridge, an employee of Fudge, will be our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. The Sorting Hat cautions the students against becoming too internally divided. I wasn't sure what the Hat meant by that.

I thought the Houses got along good. Well, I know Draco and I got along good. I feel this is like one of those fictional stories where a good girl falls for the bad boy. I hoped the part where she ended up getting hurt didn't apply in my situation. I didn't want to fall for him but I couldn't choose who my heart desired.

As the dining table got really crowded with Charlotte, Lucas, Luna, Neville, Dean, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Ginny, and others surrounded this table. I didn't really have anyone to talk to. Hermione usually talked to either of the two boys or Ginny. Harry and Ron usually talked to each other. Neville and Luna talked with each other and the others just went together. I was alone, until Lucas started a conversation with me. He loved to talk about his family and I listened well.

I left dinner early and was wandering the school. I saw a couple of my friends, but they were all grouped together. I kept walking and realized who I was specifically looking for: Draco Malfoy.

I did see him soon afterwards, but he was preoccupied talking to Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle, and I didn't want do intrude. I hadn't seen Theodore around.

Then that night, Draco and I talked. Things felt normal but I still could feel the thick and firm line drawn between us and I didn't know where it had come from.

*****

"Hey, Emma." Woody caught me in the hallway, on my way to Potions.

Carter Woody is a real good guy, though he is in Slytherin. I hate the stereotypes. Why couldn't Slytherins be just who they are? I feel that way about all the Houses; we should be free to express who we really are.

"Hi, Carter." I moved my hair out of my way and smiled at him.

"Are you staying here for Christmas break?" Carter asked me.

"I'm not sure yet." I responded. I honestly had no idea; it depended on many things.

"Okay. Hey, I have to get to class, I'll see you later." Woody smiled friendly at me before walking away.

I turned sideways and saw Draco watching towards me. I blushed nervously and walked towards him.

"Hi, Draco." I said, my voice slightly higher.

"Hey Daw- Emma." He replied with a boyish grin.

"How are you?" I asked him, staring into his eyes.

Draco laughed fearlessly. "Me? I'm great. You?"

"Good, I guess." I laughed at Malfoy's response and stood there, in his presence.

"So.." Draco begins.

"We should get to potions." I cut him off. My face felt warm and I mentally slapped myself.