The old kings and queens of Narnia

iii.

Peter hadn't been in Narnia for very long and the landscape had changed during the centuries, so he struggled to find the way. That was, of course, a fact that he refused to deny. Peter refused to hear out anyone else's opinions, not even Trumpkin who knew the woods better than anyone. It was obvious that Peter as the oldest sibling was the natural leader who didn't really like to be told that he was wrong. He might have come across as slightly cold and harsh, yet I noticed that he had a soft side as well and he was kind to me.

Edmund was obviously in his brother's shadow, yet he didn't seem to mind it much. He was happy and very talkative, and I really enjoyed his company. The same went for Susan and Lucy. Susan was very clever and never said anything disrespectful and Lucy was so sweet yet tough. They were just as they had been in the stories and it made me so happy.

Unfortunately, we were lost for a while until Lucy claimed that she saw Aslan, yet no one believed her, so we decided to try and pass the river Beruna. Even though Lucy had seemed so convinced that she had spotted the royal lion, it might as well have been a wild animal and I had a hard time believing her. She was upset, of course, but we had no choice but to continue.

When we arrived at the river we soon found that the Telmarines had sieged it and started to build a bridge across it. We had to hide behind some logs while observing the hard work the men put in to get the bridge done as soon as possible. I tensed up as Miraz came riding on his white stallion, looking across the workplace with a grin on his face.

"You should just shoot an arrow through his chest," I muttered.

"That's Miraz?" Edmund whispered back.

"We can't kill him now there are too many people we'd never get away," Peter said slowly. "We should get back to the woods, there's no crossing here."

And so we did as High King Peter said and went back to the place where Lucy said she saw Aslan, in order to see if we would be able to find another way.

"So, where exactly did you think you saw Aslan?" Peter asked his little sister who was roaming over the grass.

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown-ups," Lucy snapped at her siblings. "I don't think I saw him; I did see him."

"I am a grown-up," Trumpkin muttered under his breath.

Lucy started walking toward the edge of the cliff, staring down into the gorge that they were trying to cross. "It was right over..."

Lucy let out a scream as she fell when the ground beneath her failed and she was soon out of sight. I widened my eyes and hurried after her siblings to see if she had fallen into the gorge. Fortunately, she had landed on a path that lead straight down toward the gorge. It was incredible - Lucy had found a path.

The night when we had finally set camp in a meadow, there was time to rest. Trumpkin made a fire and we all sat around it, talking as the sunset and the sky was filled with stars.

"I can't believe you're a real nymph," Lucy said and smiled at me. "You've been living with Telmarines for so many years. Wasn't that difficult?"

"Not really," I admitted. "Of course, leaving my own Kingdom was hard but I knew it was for the best. The Telmarine castle is... was my home and it's strange to be out here especially without Caspian..."

I frowned as I thought about him. With all that had happened, I had not had as much time to think about him and could only hope that he was alright. Trumpkin kept assuring me that his friend Trufflehunter would never let Nikabrik, the other dwarf that I had encountered, hurt a boy and that we would see him at Aslan's How. I had to keep convincing myself just that.