Defeat

iii.

I was to ride with the Narnians and their troops toward the castle. Many Narnians were with us but some had stayed behind in our fortress either because they were too young or too old to fight. Lucy and Trufflehunter had been some of the few who didn't come with us which was lucky since I didn't want either of them to get hurt in the fight.

We waited for Edmund to give us the signal, but it never came and time was passing by quickly. His strange "flashlight" was supposed to blink in a certain way to give us a signal that we were supposed to attack and storm the gates. I had a terrible feeling that something had gone wrong when the bells in the tower started to ring, alarming everyone that someone had broken into the castle. Had Caspian, Susan, Peter and Edmund really failed their tasks? All they had to do was to kill Miraz before anyone noticed, free the professor, open the gates and give us the signal. Now the Telmarines were supposedly arming themselves for battle.

"This should not take this long," I mumbled and Glenstorm nodded in agreement.

I regretted for a moment that I hadn't gone with Caspian and the others instead of volunteering to be in the lead of the troops. When I offered I had full trust in Peter and Caspian but now I realised there were many things that could have gone wrong. Maybe Miraz had expected us anyway and they were all killed before being able to kill him first. I wanted to be with the others, but it was too late now.

We waited a few more minutes restlessly until we finally saw the blinking light that must have meant that things were going according to the plan. I sighed relieved and glanced at Trumpkin and Nikabrik that prepared to start running. Glenstorm raised on his backbones and uttered a cry of battle before he took the lead and ran ahead toward the castle. We started riding and running - towards the gate and got over the bridge quickly, storming the castle before any guard could stop us. They fled; they were terrified of the creatures attacking their home.

As soon as I crossed the gate I dismounted off my horse and drew my sword. I glanced around the courtyard, hearing the panic of the guards who hadn't expected us to be so many. To my great happiness and relief Caspian, Susan and Peter were alright but Caspian held his arm as if he was hurt and the whole area around his shoulder was covered with blood. I rushed toward him and he placed his hand on my cheek with a small smile.

"Are you alright?" I asked carefully and touched his other hand that was laying over his wound.

He nodded but there was not much reassurance in his eyes. I joined Peter, Susan and Caspian as they ran towards Miraz's men with our whole army behind us, ready to claim the castle our own before the night was over. They had no idea what force we held with centaurs, minotaurs and especially the two royals fighting with us.

"For Narnia!"

The fight was hard for the Telmarines had already been alerted that we were coming. Their full strength was against us and they had the advantage of knowing their own keep. Miraz was standing in his balcony to his chamber, watching the fight with an evil smile on his lips. There wasn't as much as a scratch on his as his men fought for him. Archers were lining up around the castle's towers but they wouldn't fire as long as their own men were still on the ground.

"Susan!" I cried and hurried toward the Queen who was fighting fiercely with her bow and arrows. "What happened, why is Miraz free?"

I helped her kill a Telmarine and then she turned toward me with a frown on her face.

"It's a long story," Susan said with a sigh. "Caspian he was... distracted. Watch out!" She quickly fired an arrow at a Telmarine that had been sneaking up behind me and I realised this was not the time for chatting.