Aslan's Country

ii.

We did not know that Eustace had been the biggest hero of the all. As he had fled the battle when he was hit by Lord Roop's sword, Eustace had managed to place all the seven swords on Aslan's table which had helped to break the curse of the green mist by giving King Peter's sword the magic needed to kill the sea serpent.

As I looked Lucy's way I saw many small boats rowing slowly towards us as the cave sort of just disappeared into an invisible mist and we were out in the open sea again, the sun being high in the sky and Narnia being as beautiful as ever. The boats carried all the long lost Narnians that had been taken by the mist and I smiled widely toward Lucy as we had succeeded in our quest and hundreds of families were to be reunited.

"Narnians!"

A loud cheer erupted from the crew as they saw men, women, and children waving toward the ship. I saw Gale and her father eyeing the boats eagerly whilst trying to find their loved one. It looked as though Gale was holding her breath while waiting before her face broke out into a beautiful juvenile smile.

"Mummy!" she called as she spotted her mother.

"Helene!" Rhince called happily.

He and Gale hurried to jump into the water fully clothed and started swimming toward the boat carrying their wife and mother. I saw the happy smile on Lucy's face as her little friend was reunited with her mother once more, and Edmund placed his arm around his sister's shoulders in an embrace.

"Let's have them all on board," I ordered the crew despite The Dawn Treader not being in her finest condition and that it wasn't built for as many people as it was going to have to carry. However, I knew that she would take us on one last ride home.

I walked toward Edmund and Lucy and placed my hand on her shoulder.

"We did it," she said and smiled while looking at the two of us. "I knew we would."

"It wasn't just us, though," Edmund said and grinned.

"Hey!" a voice called all the way down from the water. "Hey! I'm down here! Lucy! Over here! I'm a boy again!"

We hurried to the railings and looked down at Eustace who swam in the water, back in his human form again. For the first time since he came to Narnia, the boy had a happy smile on his lips. It was a proud moment as I had come to care for the boy and had hoped that he had started to love this world as much as his cousins did.

"Eustace!" Lucy said and smiled widely.

Derya's head popped out of the water next to Eustace, scaring him amusingly. About ten more sea maidens showed up behind her and suddenly the boy was surrounded by beautiful sea maidens. We were all looking at the sea maidens with great suspicion as they were the ones that had threatened to attack and had tried to drown me. Why would they help now?

"Why would they help us now?" Lucy asked the sea maidens. "I was certain they wanted us all dead."

"The greatest enemy of our people are Sea Serpents," one of the sea maidens said. "Our Queen sent us to end its terror. That is all."

Derya turned to the sea maidens yet again and said something to them in that other tongue of theirs. They nodded slowly before looking back at me again. I knew I had to say something because they had helped us defeat the Sea Serpent.

"Thank you," I said loudly to them. "You helped us out there, all of you."

"Do not get used to it," one sea maiden said and seemingly rolled her eyes.

The other sea maidens snickered before they dove back into the waters. Derya stayed, of course, and kept bragging about her tail to Edmund and Lucy until suddenly Rip came running as he had heard us talking.