The White Witch

ii.

I watched the runes of the old and sighed. They were beautiful and before the battle, they had given me hope that things would go as they did in the stories from before. That we would have Aslan to our help and that all would have a fairy-tale ending where I finally claimed my throne from Miraz. But now much of all my hope had left me and I was crushed, there were no such things as fairy-tale endings.

I had much guilt in my heart - all that I ever wanted was to help the people of Narnia. I had failed that already. I wanted to be their king in the future and restore the peace that once was between men and Narnians the last time a son of Adam and a daughter of Eve sat on the throne. But that was before the Telmarines came and that whole thing seemed more like a fairy-tale rather than being history since it was so distant. I had become just like Miraz wanted, a failure. As I had stood there in his bedroom, I wanted to kill him, but I was too weak. He knew it and so did Prunaprismia, Susan and Peter. My aunt's arrow shot into my arm had been a waste, I wouldn't have been able to kill my uncle anyways.

"You so glad over that magic horn now boy?" a sudden voice asked.

I turned around, tilted my head toward the ground and saw Nikabrik leaning against the wall and staring at me. He had been the only one that seemed somewhat alright with what had happened. To be honest, I had never liked the dwarf since the day he smacked me in the head with the back of a dagger. I wasn't sure if I could trust him, but when it came down to facts, he hated Miraz just as much as any other Narnian.

"Your kings and queens have failed us; your army is half dead - those who aren't will be soon enough."

"What do you want, congratulations?" I stared at him. He didn't seem sad at all that many of his own was now dead. He almost seemed pleased, like he had accomplished something big by the death of our army. I had never liked Nikabrik, but I had a hard time to believe that he would actually be happy about all this. Somehow he had to feel sad about what had happened, he almost lost his friend Trumpkin.

"You want your uncle's blood," Nikabrik said with a smug smile on his lips. The look he had in his eyes frightened me slightly, he looked so very evil just at that moment. "So do we. You want his throne? We can get it for you."

I did not know what he meant by 'we' but when he started walking towards The Stone Table, I followed him further into the tombs. His words were appealing and whoever those he talked about were, they had to be Narnians that wanted Miraz gone from the throne. I wondered who they could be though, all our Narnians were out of the tombs to meet the troops and no one would be there now. It had to be other Narnians that hadn't been summoned yet.

"There is a power greater still," Nikabrik told me. "One that kept Aslan himself at bay for near a hundred years." Whatever that power was, I was sure it had to be dangerous. Aslan was no human or ordinary Narnian. He was a stately lion and a very powerful one. I wasn't sure if anything that kept him away would be good to use.

I heard a growl from behind the dark shadows and drew my sword hesitantly while walking toward the growl. I was growing suspicious and worried; I didn't know who these creatures could be. I doubted coming there with Nikabrik, I should've asked Derya or Peter to come with me. But somehow in the back of my mind, I didn't want anyone else to be there. I wanted to handle this matter alone and show that I could provide help for Narnia by myself.

"Who's there?" I asked demandingly and walked closer.

"I am thirst," a low voice said - a foul and growling voice. A shadow was approaching me slowly and I couldn't see what it was. Its legs were hairy as a dog and behind the drawn hood I could see a nose. I had to be some kind of werewolf. "I am hungry. I can fast for a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred years on the ice and not freeze."