Duffers

ii.

We had spotted land once more and I had guessed the lords must've stopped there if they were following the same route as we did. The island looked uninhabited, but we could never be completely sure. I decided to row out to the island to spend the night on the shore since it was too late to investigate it. Any tracks of the lords would be hard to find in complete darkness and we didn't know what creatures could lure in the shadows.

The following day we would start to look for more clues. My priority now was to find the lords since they would probably give us an idea on how to do something against the mysterious mist. We had nothing to work with regarding the green mist since no one knew anything about it. There was nothing in the books or anyone onboard that could tell me more than Rhince had done.

After only an hour on the shore, everyone had fallen asleep. Derya and I were the only ones who were still up while all the other crewmembers were heavily asleep already. Lucy slept next to the little girl Gale who she had become very fond to during these few days. Gale had sneaked onto the ship as her father Rhince had left her in the Lone Island. She had been hiding out for a whole day without any one of us noticing her until Eustace accidentally hit the barrel that she was hiding in. Drinian had accepted her as another crew member and was now Lucy's responsibility when her father was working.

"Do you think we'll find any answers at all here?" Derya asked me, quietly, so she wouldn't wake someone up.

She stared up at the shining stars in the night sky, lying close to me to keep herself warm. Not only did she keep herself warm, but she also kept me warm too. We had done this many times, and I always kept her close to me when we spent nights out of the castle or the ship. In the castle, Derya had her own room of course, but it was pretty close to mine. I wasn't allowed to visit her chamber, but we met up in the common room in the middle of the night sometimes just to talk like we did when we were children.

"I hope so," I said and sighed. If we didn't, we would have more islands to investigate and that would take us forever which was a time we didn't have. We needed something to track, something to go on so we could continue our search for the lords and the green mist.

"We have to."

Our hands laid next to each other as we spoke quietly. I was close enough to almost touch her hand with mine, so I did and let my warmth spread to her cold hand. She smiled faintly and squeezed my hand affectionately.

"Derya, there is something that has been on my mind for a long time," I said and looked at her. Something that had been in my mind since the day the Pevensie siblings left three years ago. I needed to know what Derya felt for me, what I could do to make her mine.

"What?" she asked softly.

"You and I," I said quietly and looked into her eyes with a steady gaze. I was determined to get an answer now rather than keep wondering about what could've happened if I did. As I glanced at her she seemed rather nervous, glanced down at our hands and waited for me to continue. I had made her uncomfortable already even if I hadn't said much yet. "We're friends right?"

"Yes, of course, you are my closest friend," she answered and smiled. She seemed relieved again like she had wanted to make it clear that it was the only thing we were. I realised that she didn't want to talk about this and that it made her uncomfortable thinking about us as more than just friends.

"Alright," I said and nodded. I didn't need to know anything more at the moment, I was alright with us being friends for now. There was no rush and as long as I was with her I'd be happy to even have her by my side. Maybe it wasn't the right moment to talk about our feelings since we were on a quest that depended on me being focused. I gave her a little smile myself and sighed. "Good."