A Maiden of the Sea

ii.

Derya cared for my hand with a bandage. She tied it tightly, taking out her anger on my hand instead of talking to me. She had been quiet ever since we sat down to take care of my wounds. Derya had seen it all; the way the witch tempted me and how I almost offered her all of Narnia. It was lucky Edmund, Peter, Lucy and Trumpkin were there to help me, otherwise, we would have been ruined.

Derya had been very disappointed in me, though, for I had almost done something unforgivable. I knew that I was weak; I had told her that this entire time and now she finally agreed. I had made a fool out of myself and there was nothing I could do to take it back.

"That was very stupid," she muttered quietly and looked at me with her angry eyes.

I sighed; I knew she thought so of me, but it hurt to hear it come from her lips. I had always thought Derya would be the one person that would never turn on me, but maybe I was wrong. I needed to make this alright so she could forgive me for all this. I wanted to be good, I tried so hard that I sometimes pushed it too far.

"They said they could guarantee Miraz's death," I murmured but it was not an excuse at all. "And I was stupid enough to believe them."

I shouldn't have trusted them; I should have told them that I would bring Peter and the others so we could all have a council about this. But no, I wanted to do things all by myself and now Nikabrik was dead because of my stupid mistakes. Maybe we could've brought him back to us if only I had summoned the others, convinced him that what he was doing wasn't right and that he needed to be with us, not against us.

Derya looked at me again, she didn't seem angry anymore, but I still saw something in her eyes. I didn't know what that look in meant but I saw her soften slowly to me, her anger drifting away.

"It was just too close Caspian," she said and sighed with a frown on her beautiful face. "So close that the White Witch would come back to Narnia. Why did you feel that you couldn't come and talk to someone? To me?"

I shrugged, my pride was taking over, and I had no intention to tell her how selfish I had been. It would only make her think even less of me and I didn't want that. I wished that she could move on and let it go. I would make it up to her and all the Narnians if they just forgot all that had happened and let me work this out.

"I wanted to get it done myself," I murmured even if I didn't want to tell her.

She sighed annoyed with me and stood up to go away. She knew I was being selfish and proud but I grabbed her hand quickly before she could leave and forced her to down again. I didn't want us to split being angry with each other and most importantly I wanted her to forgive me. Quickly I pressed her into my arms and hugged her tightly, leaning my forehead against her head and closing my eyes.

"Forgive me," I added quietly. "I'm sorry, Derya."

I felt her relax in my arms and hugged me back. I sighed relieved since I knew she wasn't angry with me anymore and that we could let this whole mistake go. She looked up at me, our eyes met, and a smile grew on both our lips.

"You're forgiven," she said and grinned a little.

That was enough to put me in a better mood. Now I wanted us to talk about something less sad, I wanted to know everything about her that she had not told me yet about her Narnian life. I was so curious and even a little disappointed that she hadn't told me earlier. I knew that the young me would've loved to be friends with a Narnian, I would've enjoyed it very much and kept her secret to myself.

"I want you to tell me how you can be a Narnian," I said and chuckled since it was a rather strange question. "Why have you never told me?"

"Because I made a promise," Derya said and sighed, gave me a little smile. "My father was Era, a nereid God and King of the Great Eastern Ocean. When he met my mother, he gave his immortality to be with her and father me. My mother... she was or is the Queen of the sea people of the Last sea."