The Necklace

ii.

We were on the ship on a sunny, hot day which slowed everyone on deck. There wasn't a person I didn't meet that didn't complain about the heat and that the sun was too strong for the crew members to work. They, however, managed to do what they had to do since we needed to continue to sail or we'd be still since there was no wind. I tried to help out as much as I could and so did the Pevensie siblings. Eustace, of course, did nothing.

I hadn't been able to stop thinking about how happy I had been when I saw Derya unharmed in the marketplace back in the Lone island. I had embraced her very hard to assure myself that she was unharmed. I guessed that it meant that it was almost time for me to tell her what I really felt, I didn't want to waste more of our times together without her knowing how much I loved her. The Lone island had reminded me of how uncertain our lives were, we could be separated at any moment which meant that I should do everything I was scared of - including confessing to the girl I loved how I felt.

As I sat on the stairs in the stern, I watched how Derya helped Lucy train with her new sword. Lucy had never really been trained for fighting since she didn't fight the last time she was in Narnia or the time before that. She had been too young to, but now she was not a little child anymore and needed to learn how to defend herself and those she cared about. Derya glanced at me and sent me a beautiful smile which made my heart rate speed up. I smiled back to her which Lucy seemed to notice since a sudden grin appeared on her face. I looked away from Derya quickly and stared down at my sword that I had been busy polishing.

"Oh," Lucy said suddenly and placed her hand over her forehead as if she was feeling dizzy. I stood up and walked toward her to make sure she was alright. As I got closer, I noticed that she was putting up with a very bad act. "I don't feel so good. I'll probably go drink some water. "

She walked away with an obvious chuckled, she had done it completely on purpose so that Derya and I could be left alone. Derya rolled her eyes at her friend and walked towards me. She sat down next to me with a small smile.

"Where are we going now?" she asked curiously.

"We're sailing to where one of the Lords was last seen," I answered. There were still many islands to search for them on and it would take us forever if we didn't hurry up. Besides that, I wanted to find out what the green mist came from and if I could do anything about it. I still had Rhince on board and he wasn't here to find the lords, he wanted his wife back.

"It's a long road but... we have to find them."

Derya grabbed my hand and squeezed it affectionately. She made me smile and look into her beautiful eyes, wondering why she showed this sudden affection for me. I didn't mind because her mere presence calmed all my worries and she knew this.

"You're a good king, Caspian," she said, and it seemed like she meant what said to me. "Better than you think. Your father would've been so proud of you for everything you've done for Narnia. You shouldn't worry so much about being a better king than you already are."

I smiled at her. She knew me so well, better than anyone. Derya knew how much I was worried about not living up to my people's expectations on my rule - I had promised to be a better king than those before me. This was something I promised my father right before he died too, and I wanted to keep that promise.

"Thank you," I said and smiled appreciatively. I looked into her dark brown eyes and then noticed she fingered something in her hand. It was the necklace she always wore around his neck, the one I gave her. "Did it break?"

"Yes, the chain," she replied and looked at it sadly. I knew it meant a lot to her and since it was my gift to her, I would have it fixed too. "I don't know how to fix it; I think I'll give it to Drinian."

"I'll get it fixed for you," I said and opened my hand for her to place it in. She smiled thankfully and placed the necklace in my hand, touching it with her fingers and then letting it fall to her side. I kissed her forehead softly as a 'see you later', before deciding that I had to get back to help out.

"I need to get back," I said and stood up from the staircase. If I didn't go now, I would stay and talk to her forever. Besides that, I saw Lucy come back from whatever she had been doing and I wanted to spare Derya from all her teasing. "I should help out on my ship."

"Okay," she said.

***

iii.

I was absolutely giddy after Caspian left me on the staircase alone. We had been so close; I had even been able to feel his body heat through my thin shirt. It had almost felt as though we were about to kiss, but we didn't of course.

It was a shame that my necklace broke back on the Lone Island since it meant a lot to me. It was the necklace that Caspian gave me shortly after he became king, a gift for my birthday. In the sea, we didn't celebrate the day we were born which meant that I had no clue when my birth date was, so we always celebrated the day I came to the castle as my birthday. The necklace was a shell of silver, reminiscent of the sea. I never took it off since it made me feel connected Caspian wherever I was.

"Now I'm always with you," he had said when he put the necklace around my neck the day he had given it to me all those years ago. I remembered how I felt his hands touching my neck and how I got goosebumps all over my body. He had given me a warm, tight hug afterwards.

"Should we continue, or?" Lucy asked, which woke me from my daydreams. I blinked before looking up at her smug smile, she had done everything on purpose so that I could speak to Caspian alone. I ignored her teasing though and gave her nod with a smile.

After a few hours on deck with the sun's ray almost frying me alive, I retreated to my chamber to rest for a bit. The heat was killing me, and I needed to drink some water before I could continue to work. Even if I was as close to being a human as anyone could be, I was very sensitive to heat and fainted easily if I didn't come in contact with water for a long while.

Most of the crew members, including Caspian and Edmund, slept in hammocks together in a large room. I had my own chamber with a bed and even a closet. It was meant for the King since he was supposed to be too grand to sleep with his workers, but Caspian gave it to me since I was the only woman in the crew. I now shared it with Lucy since the bed was very big and I didn't want to leave her alone with all the boys.

There was a knock on the door as soon as I sat down to drink my glass of water. I told whoever it was outside to come in which made the door slowly open. Caspian stood in the entrance with a small smile on his lips and stepped inside hesitantly. I glanced up at him and smiled faintly, I was glad to see him of course.

"I've fixed it," he said and held my necklace up in his hands. He had a beautiful smile on his face, looking proud of himself just like when he was a little boy. He had always been the handy one of us two, always fixing things when they break. I remembered one time when my dress broke in the middle of a ball, and Caspian took me away. He managed to sew it back together perfectly, which kind of was a waste of thread since it got destroyed when we went riding in the middle of the night and fell into a large puddle of mud.

"Thank you," I said and stood up to get the necklace.

"Should I... help you to put on it?" he asked and raised his eyebrows with a questioning look on his face. I nodded and turned around; I pushed my hair aside so it wouldn't get in the way.

Caspian clasped the necklace slowly behind my neck, let hands touch my shoulders lightly before his hands fell to the side. I turned to him again and smiled, looking into his eyes. Caspian stood silent and looked at me, placing his hand on my arm carefully. "We are approaching an island we were thinking about investigating," he told me to break the silence.

"We are moving onshore soon."

"Alright," I said and nodded.

Caspian looked hesitantly at me before stepping forward. He hugged me tightly, pressing his soft lips against my forehead. I buried my head into his chest and hugged him back before he let me go and walked out.