Burnt Starlight by catcherinthe_ry8

Full title: Burnt Starlight: Book of Poetry and Prose by catcherinthe_ry8
Source: Judging task for interview with -Chrysalis_Realm

Genre: Poetry, Non-fiction
Mature: N
Status: Ongoing
First impressions: 38/40

Clicking the "External Link" button below the "Continue to next part" button will take you straight to the book.

*****

First impressions total: 38/40

Title: 10/10
Heavy imagery here. Perfect for a book of poetry and prose. This title engages sight, smell, taste, and touch, all in two very simple words.

Blurb/synopsis: 9/10
Again, heavy imagery here. The blurb itself is poetry. It sets the tone for beauty and metaphor, and it seats the potential reader's mind in this realm where the senses are more important than the words. My only critique here is the last sentence of the first paragraph. That should actually be two sentences, so either swap the comma for a period or a semicolon. In this case, I think a semicolon works better, because it doesn't interrupt the flow of thought like a period would.

Cover: 10/10
Yes. Just absolutely yes. I love the blues and purples and grays, tying everything together from stars to mountain to sea, the glowing effect, the way the text just fits so well with the images - perfect. And the font choice, placement, size, and color are also perfect. I don't even mind the "by" that much, and I usually hate that, because you don't need it. And you probably don't need it here, either. But it works anyway.

First chapter: 9/10
So, I'm not a poet, and I don't claim to be the best judge of poetry. But I know when poetry touches that feeling, that chord that resonates within me and makes the words come alive, and "Greying" does that. It leaves so much to the imagination. This poem can mean so many things to so many people. For me, it's the analysis of black-and-white in a gray world, the fear of making the wrong decision because I want everything to be simple. I want everything to be black-and-white. I don't want to be wrong. Those gray dots offer another way, and it's a way I'm hesitant to take because of the unknowns.

As far as editing critiques, again, I'm not a poet, but I'm pretty sure "burrying" in the second paragraph is supposed to be "burying." Also, the periods. I don't necessarily understand why you've placed them at the ends of certain lines but not others. It's not that big of a deal, because poetry gives free license to do what you want, and the only reason I really bring it up is that there is no period at the end of the poem. It just feels to me like there should be, since there have been periods earlier. But, again, that's up to you.

 But, again, that's up to you