Chasing Shadows by strawberry1d

Full title: 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬©|| 𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐨𝐤 ||𝐒𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞 || by strawberry1d
Source: ᴬʳᵗⁱˢᵗⁱᶜ ᴱˣᵖʳᵉˢˢⁱᵒⁿˢ ᴬʷᵃʳᵈˢ by janefanfics
Category: Masculine Muse (J-Hope)
Mature: N (blood, mental health issues, mild swearing, sexual references; mentions of drug abuse, murder, torture, underage drinking)
Status: Ongoing
English usage: Non-native English speaker
Special note: LGBTQIAP+ (mention)
Special note (judging): I had four books from this category, and the other judge, itsmecrazY1432, had four books
Result: 90/100 (2nd place)

Clicking the "External Link" button below the "Continue to next part" button will take you straight to the book, or click the link in the inline comments here. →

*****

Rubric (Masculine Muse):
Overall Impact (20 points)
- 0-5: Little to no emotional impact; character is forgettable.
- 6-10: Some moments of impact, but overall impression may fade quickly.
- 11-15: Leaves a good impression; character resonates with readers throughout the story.
- 16-20: Strong emotional impact; character lingers in the reader's mind long after reading.
Writing Style and Grammar (20 points)
- 0-5: Poor writing; numerous grammatical errors and awkward phrasing that disrupts readability and comprehension.
- 6-10: Basic writing; some grammatical mistakes and inconsistent style. Limited use of varied sentence structures and vocabulary.
- 11-15: Solid writing; generally free of errors, with good sentence variety and appropriate vocabulary. Style enhances the narrative, though it may not be consistently engaging.
- 16-20: Exceptional writing; flawless grammar and punctuation, with a distinctive voice and style. The use of varied sentence structures and rich vocabulary creates a compelling and immersive reading experience.
Character Development (20 points)
- 0-5: Underdeveloped character; lacks depth and motivation.
- 6-10: Some development; has a few clear traits but feels one-dimensional.
- 11-15: Well-developed character; shows growth and complexity throughout the story.
- 16-20: Exceptionally developed character; multi-faceted with a compelling arc that resonates strongly with readers.
Relatability (20 points)
- 0-5: Character feels completely unrealistic or distant from audience experiences.
- 6-10: Character has some relatable traits, but many elements feel exaggerated or underexplored.
- 11-15: Character relatable in most aspects; readers can identify with struggles and triumphs.
- 16-20: Highly relatable character; readers see themselves in the character, making their journey impactful.
Role in Story (20 points)
- 0-5: Character serves no clear purpose; feels extraneous to the plot.
- 6-10: Character has some role in the story but does not significantly influence the narrative.
- 11-15: Character plays a meaningful role; contributes to plot development and themes.
- 16-20: Integral to the story; drives the plot forward and enriches the overall narrative.
Total: 100 points

*****

Total (Masculine Muse): 90/100

Overall Impact: 20/20
I first read this entire book for the "Vivid Imagery" category over a month ago, and although I've read a lot of books since then, this book and this character (and this author) still stick out. Obviously, they had an impact. 🙂

Writing Style and Grammar: 10/20
I love your writing style. It's very engaging and fun. There are a lot of grammar mistakes, but they don't negatively impact the readability of the story. For more detailed grammar info, see my "Vivid Imagery" feedback (which I will post when the host announces those results).

Character Development: 20/20
All your characters are well-developed, and J-Hope is no exception. It's interesting how right from the start, everybody who knows him knows something is wrong. He's not the bundle of sunshine he used to be. His internal struggles about Dove and her cheating boil over into irrational anger when he and Akira meet and instantly know they're soulmates, and as the story progresses, it's gradually revealed that this isn't just an emotional problem for him. This is a genuine mental health issue stemming from Dove's betrayal and the fear of a stalker who literally broke into his hotel room while he was sleeping. Both incidents happened years ago, but both hurt him deeply, and he needs professional help to get past them so he can move forward with the bonding process. But once he takes that leap, ooh la la. It's truly heartwarming to see him return to the happy, optimistic state everybody said used to be his normal, and his unrestrained love and devotion for Akira gives me all the warm fuzzy feels.

Relatability: 20/20
The deep dive into J-Hope's thoughts and emotions allows the reader to connect with him immediately. He isn't some distant celebrity, high above everybody else. He's a normal person who happens to be a celebrity, and he has normal struggles, normal needs, normal desires. And abnormal mental health issues, which is also a very common problem among the general population. The reader may not understand why he's so dead set against bonding with Akira at first, but the way you unfold the story and reveal the heart of his resistance just makes him even more real and relatable. Even the romance when they finally bond is relatable. Maybe most people can't jet off to an exotic locale for a week-long honeymoon, but they can relate to the desire to spend time with a new romantic partner, to spoil them, to learn their ins and outs and make them happy.

Role in Story: 20/20
Well, he is the male love interest. Without him, there is no story. You've centered at least half of the book on him, which only illustrates how integral he is to the plot.

 You've centered at least half of the book on him, which only illustrates how integral he is to the plot