55

My skin felt like ice. The coldness surrounding me slowed my memory as I tried to think of what had happened.

Everything hit me all at once, forcing my eyes open. I lifted my head, pushing off the ground and sitting back on my knees. My breathing slowed as I looked around. Seeing that I woke up in the middle of an empty Mystic Falls made my heart stop for a minute.

I'm trapped in a prison world with my worst nightmare, and nothing can save me.

I pushed myself to stand and looked around, searching for him. I started walking, checking over my shoulder. I felt paranoid.

The only thought I had was to survive so I could kill him. If I die in the process, that's perfectly fine with me as long as he stays dead.

I made my way around town, not stopping anywhere I'm familiar with in case he's waiting for me.

A drawn-out whisper of my name filled my ears. I sucked in a breath of air, turning in the direction from which it came. I was met with nothing but an empty street. The same voice came from the opposite direction. I turned to see nothing again. I took a few steps back, stepping off the sidewalk.

I turned around swiftly as the voice sounded from behind me. I gasped as Joshua's eyes stared back at mine. I didn't waste any time running as fast as I could. I didn't think of where I was going, I let my feet guide me from him. A cry escaped my throat as I started to get slower.

I felt hands grab my waist and pull me away from my path. I screamed out, pushing against the hands that were on me. I felt a hand cover my mouth as he shushed me. His body pressed against mine.

"Baby, it's me. You have to be quiet."

The sound of Kai's voice made me freeze. I felt him for a moment, the way his body pressed against mine. His hands gently held me. I opened my eyes slowly as a cry escaped my throat. His soft, sad eyes met mine. I felt tears leave my eyes, rolling over his hand.

"You have to be quiet," he whispered.

I nodded once. He moved his hand to the side of my face. His eyes scanned my face before returning back to mine. I moved my hand from his wrist to his forearm. The relieved look on his face made more tears roll down my cheeks.

"Are you okay?"

My other hand moved to rest against the one that was on my face. "I thought you were dead."

He tilted his head. "I wouldn't leave you."

I breathed out slowly. I stared at him for a minute, trying to keep myself from crying more. He leaned forward, kissing my forehead softly. The press of his lips on my skin made me feel calmer. After a moment, he stepped away, grabbed my hand and held it.

I followed close behind him as he led me into a building that looked broken down. He pushed open a door and held it open for me to walk through. I walked to the couch and sat down, and a minute later, he joined me.

I stared at my hands as I pressed my fingertips into the palm of my hand, my nails almost breaking the skin. He put his hand over mine, stopping me from pushing my nails further.

"Evelyn."

The softness in his voice made my chest feel tight. The shakiness in my breath made it impossible for me to look at him.

"Did he hurt you?"

"No," I answered after a beat. "He's just..." I closed my eyes for a minute. "Klaus ripped out his heart, and he's still alive. Except he's not alive." I could see his eyes in my mind. I opened my eyes and looked at Kai. "He tied his life to this prison world. It's the only reason he's still alive. If we destroy the ascendant, we can kill him. But he has it, and there's no way he's giving it up."