69

Thirty-Six Months Later

I finished cleaning the countertop of the bar. Genevieve ran up to me and grabbed the towel from my hands. "I'm headed out after this."

I turned to face her. "Have fun."

She smiled, "Thanks."

She walked back through the kitchen door. I waited to hear the back door shut before making my way to the storage room. I grabbed the case of bourbon that was delivered today and walked back into the bar. I slid the box onto the bar.

The front door opened with a bell chime. "We're closed!" I pulled out two bottles and sat them on the bar.

"It's just me."

I looked up to see Oliver. He was holding a box with a bow tied around it. I made my way around the bar as he got closer. He sat the box down before sliding his arms around my waist and pulling me against his body. I slid my arms around his neck as I kissed him slowly. He delved his tongue into my mouth as he walked me backward.

He lifted me onto the bar and settled himself between my legs. I moved my hand to his shoulder and pulled back from the kiss. He whined. I smiled as I looked into his eyes, "Hi."

He smiled as he tilted his head. "Hi."

I looked over at the box sitting beside me. "What's that?" I looked at his face again.

He moved his hands to my waist. "Part of your surprise."

I rested my hands at the sides of his neck. "Surprise?"

He nodded once. "Yes. For your birthday."

I moved my hands to his, "Can I open it?"

He pulled my hands behind me, leaning into me and kissing me again. "Not yet."

"Why?"

He stared at my lips, "You'll find out." He looked into my eyes as he moved his hands to my hips. "We have to go now, or we're going to be late."

I moved my hands to his chest. "I'm running a bar here, I can't just -"

"I've got it covered."

I furrowed my brows. "What do you mean?"

He slid his hands to my thighs. "I called Isaac."

My heart started to beat faster. "You want that lunatic to do my job?"

He pulled me off the bar and then grabbed the box. He grabbed my hand and started dragging me out of the bar. "Come on, sweetheart."

I reluctantly followed him. "What if it catches on fire? Or he fire everyone because he sleeps with them?"

He laughed as he stopped walking. "Breathe, Evelyn. Isaac can handle it for a few days."

"Days?! Are you -"

He cut me off by kissing me, making all of my anger dissipate. He pulled back and stared at me, "Breathe."

I sighed. "Fine."

He smiled as he pulled his hand away. He opened the door for me to get in the car. I got in and buckled up as he walked to get in.

After he showed up a month after I moved here and told me thinking about me was driving him crazy, we've been together ever since. Everything has been incredible, which isn't really something I'm used to. The relationship feels too good to be true, but I'm accepting it. I left to find this, and now that I have it, I won't question it and ruin it for myself.