Unspoken Conversations

don't forget to commenttt <333

On their way home, Travis decided to break the silence. "How about we grab dinner somewhere? My treat," he suggested.

Taylor's heart raced at the idea. She wanted to accept, but anxiety held her back. "I don't think I'm hungry," she said, trying to sound casual, but her voice betrayed her hesitation.

Travis's smile dimmed slightly. "You barely ate at lunch. Are you sure?"

Taylor fidgeted with the strap of her bag, avoiding his gaze. "I'm just not up for it. Maybe another time?" She hoped the excuse would be enough.

He nods, trying to mask his disappointment. "Alright, if you say so." His voice is gentle but carries an edge of concern, sensing that there's more she's not sharing.

"Hi, sweetie. How was your day?" Her tone was warm but carried a note of curiosity.

"It was okay," Taylor replied, her voice strained as she forced a smile and headed to her room.

Later, as Taylor sat on her bed, her mom knocked gently before entering the room. Her face was serious, and Taylor felt a pang of anxiety.

"Taylor, can we talk for a minute?" Her mom's voice was calm but firm.

Taylor looked up, her heart sinking. "Sure, Mom. What's up?"

They sat on the edge of the bed, the room heavy with tension. Her mom's eyes were filled with concern.

"I saw you getting out of Travis's car today," she began gently. "And those marks on your neck... I'm sure they're not from the beach. We need to talk."

Taylor's face flushed. She avoided eye contact, her fingers nervously twisting the hem of her shirt. "It's nothing, Mom. We're just seeing each other."

Her mom's voice remained calm but took on a firmer edge. "Taylor, I know it might feel uncomfortable, but these are important conversations to have. It's clear that things are getting serious between you and Travis, and it's crucial to talk about safe practices and making responsible choices."

Taylor felt a lump in her throat. "Oh God, I really don't want to talk about this right now," she said, her voice breaking slightly with embarrassment and frustration.

Her mom's gaze was steady and compassionate. "I understand this isn't easy. But avoiding the conversation doesn't make it go away. I'm here to support you and give you the guidance you need. It's important to have these discussions, even if they're awkward."

Taylor looked away, her eyes filling with tears. "I don't want to hear it right now," she said, her voice barely a whisper.

Her mom took a deep breath, her tone softening but remaining insistent. "Taylor, I know this is uncomfortable, but I need you to understand the importance of this talk. I'm your mother, and it's my job to make sure you're making safe and responsible choices. We can't just brush it aside."

Taylor's frustration was palpable. "Mom, I said I don't want to talk about it. Can we just drop it for now?"

Her mom's expression was a mix of resolve and sympathy. "I hear you, but I'm not going to let this go. I care about you too much. How about we start with a simple discussion? We can keep it brief and to the point."

Taylor sighed and nodded, feeling a mix of frustration and resignation. "Alright, what do you want to talk about?"

Her mom's tone softened even further. "First, I want you to know that I'm not here to judge you or tell you what to do. I just want to make sure you're aware of the responsibilities that come with being in a relationship, especially when it's getting more serious."

Taylor stared at her lap, trying to avoid her mom's gaze. "Yeah, I get it."

"Good," her mom continued. "It's important to be safe. This includes understanding consent, using protection, and making sure you're both comfortable with what's happening. These are not just things to think about, they're essential to ensuring you're both respecting each other's boundaries."

Taylor shifted uncomfortably. "We're being careful, Mom. I promise."

Her mom reached out and gently touched Taylor's hand. "I believe you, Taylor. I just want to make sure that you know how to protect yourself and that you feel comfortable discussing these things with Travis. It's a part of being responsible and mature."

Taylor swallowed hard, trying to keep her voice steady. "I know. It's just... it's really awkward talking about this with you."

"I understand," her mom said with a reassuring smile. "It's not a topic that comes up easily. But think of it this way, having these conversations now helps avoid potential problems later. It's about being prepared and making informed decisions."

Taylor nodded, feeling a bit more at ease. "Okay, I get that. I guess it's better to have this talk now than to be caught off guard."

Her mom squeezed her hand gently. "Exactly. And remember, I'm here for you. If you have questions or if something comes up, you can always come to me. We can talk about it whenever you need."

Taylor gave a small, grateful smile. "Thanks, Mom. I really appreciate it."

Her mom returned the smile, her expression one of relief. "You're welcome, sweetheart. How about we grab something to eat now? I'd love to spend some time with you."

Taylor shook her head. "Oh, i'm sorry, i already ate with Travis."

Her mom's smile widened slightly. "Alright, but if you change your mind or need anything, just let me know."

Taylor nodded and watched as her mom left the room. Though the conversation had been uncomfortable, she felt a sense of reassurance knowing her mom was there to support her.

After her mom left, she picked up her phone and began typing a message to Travis.

"Hey, my mom saw me today getting out of your car, so she kinda knows about us, she also tried to have 'the talk.' God it was super awkward."

She hit send and waited, feeling a mixture of vulnerability and relief.

Travis's response came quickly, his concern evident in his words.

"Oh shit😬 I'm really sorry you had to deal with that Tay. If you want to talk or need anything, I'm here for you. We'll figure this out together."

Taylor read his message, a faint smile appearing on her face. "Thanks, Travy. I appreciate it. Talk soon."