Confrontation at Home

don't forget to vote and commentt<333

Travis walked through the front door of his house, the familiar creak of the hinges sending a shiver down his spine. The warmth and camaraderie he'd felt with his friends just minutes ago vanished, replaced by the cold, suffocating atmosphere of his home. The house was quiet, but not in a peaceful way, it was the kind of silence that felt like it was holding its breath, waiting for something to go wrong.

His father sat in the living room, his presence a dark cloud that filled the space. The man's eyes, cold and distant, flicked up to meet Travis's as he entered. There was no warmth in that gaze, no trace of the man who used to tuck him in at night and tell him stories when he was little. The man sitting there now was a stranger, a harsh disciplinarian who only saw his son as a list of expectations to be met.

Travis could feel the tension in his shoulders, the way his muscles tightened in anticipation of the inevitable confrontation. He took a deep breath, trying to steady his nerves, but it felt like the air was thick and heavy, making it hard to breathe.

"So, you finally decided to come home," his father said, his voice flat, but laced with disapproval. "Where have you been?"

"Out with friends," Travis replied, keeping his voice as even as possible. He knew better than to show any hint of defiance; it would only make things worse.

His father stood up, slowly, deliberately. The way he moved was always so controlled, as if every action was calculated. "Out with friends," he repeated, the words dripping with disdain. "And where exactly were you, Travis? Partying? Drinking?"

Travis clenched his jaw, fighting the urge to snap back. "No, just hanging out. We stayed over at a friend's house."

His father's expression hardened, and he took a step closer, towering over Travis. "You're wasting your time with those kids. They're a bad influence, distracting you from what's important. I've told you before, your focus should be on your studies and your future, not on... frivolous things."

"Frivolous things?" Travis's voice wavered, the anger bubbling just beneath the surface. "They're my friends, Dad. I need a break sometimes. I can't just be... perfect all the time."

His father's eyes narrowed, his expression growing colder. "Perfect? You think I expect you to be perfect? No, Travis, I expect you to be disciplined, to work hard, to understand that your future depends on the choices you make now. Wasting time with those kids, getting involved in meaningless relationships, it's not going to get you anywhere."

Travis's heart pounded in his chest, his emotions a swirling mix of anger, frustration, and hurt. He hated how his father reduced his friends, his life, to something insignificant. "They're not meaningless," he muttered, barely audible, but his father caught it.

"What did you say?" His father's voice was sharp, like a whip cracking through the air.

"They're not meaningless!" Travis repeated, louder this time. "They're my friends, and they matter to me. Why can't you understand that?"

His father's face twisted in anger, and for a moment, Travis thought he might actually raise his hand. But instead, his father just stared at him, his eyes burning with an intensity that made Travis's skin crawl. "You don't know what matters, Travis. You're still just a child, and you have no idea what it takes to survive in the real world. I'm trying to prepare you, to make sure you don't end up like—"

He stopped short, the words hanging in the air, unspoken but heavy with implication.

"Like who?" Travis demanded, his voice cracking. "Like you? Is that what you're afraid of? That I'll end up like you?"

The room fell into a heavy silence, the words echoing between them. His father's face was a mask of stone, unreadable, but Travis could see the flash of something in his eyes, pain, maybe, or regret. It was gone as quickly as it had appeared, replaced by the usual coldness.

"Go to your room," his father said quietly, his voice devoid of emotion. "You're grounded for the weekend. You'll stay here and study, and maybe you'll start to understand what's really important."

Travis stared at him, his chest heaving with anger and frustration, but he knew better than to argue. Without another word, he turned and headed for the stairs, his footsteps heavy against the wooden floor. As he reached the top of the stairs, he paused, his hand gripping the banister so tightly his knuckles turned white.

"I'm not you, Dad," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "And I never will be."

He didn't wait for a response. He didn't want to hear it. Instead, he walked into his room, closing the door behind him with a soft click, shutting out the world. The tension still coiled tight in his chest, and he felt like he was going to explode.

He collapsed onto his bed, burying his face in the pillow, trying to block out the frustration and anger coursing through him. But it was no use. The confrontation with his father played over and over in his mind, each word cutting deeper than the last.

He reached for his phone, his hand trembling slightly. He needed to talk to someone, to find some kind of escape from the suffocating pressure.

But then a message popped up, Taylor. The tension in his chest eased slightly as he read her words, a small comfort in the chaos of his home life.