chapter 58; 2x07

Luna dragged Klaus from his grasp on Elijah as his nose began to bleed and he groaned in pain, forcing himself to break through his brother's thoughts, 'It's not working

Luna dragged Klaus from his grasp on Elijah as his nose began to bleed and he groaned in pain, forcing himself to break through his brother's thoughts, 'It's not working. You're just making yourself weaker.' Luna enunciated. This was the third time in the last two hours that he had tried to force himself into Elijah's mind, and he failed each time. He panted, fighting to catch his breath as he wiped the crimson trickling from his nose.

Klaus looked up at her momentarily before his eyes moved back to his brother, lying asleep fitfully, blissfully unaware of what was happening around him. But she didn't doubt that his mind was at war and his mother was tormenting him using his memories, 'If you would at least let me try...' Luna began, trailing off as Klaus shook his head frantically.

'It's far too risky,' He gathered himself, moving away from Elijah's bedside in defeat, 'If you siphon him, there's no way in knowing that the effects won't be transferred to you,' He paused briefly, looking over to Luna as his tone grew more aggravated, 'Actually, I do know. Because my mother is sadistic and I know how her mind works.'

Klaus huffed once his rant ceased. Luna didn't speak, only moving closer towards Elijah's body, 'Is the rash a side effect of the witchy coma your mother put him in?' Luna quizzed, looking at the perfect flower shape branded on his neck.

Klaus frowned, moving closer towards his brother's bedside beside Luna. He examined the wound, a sense of realisation dawning on his face, 'I haven't seen that since I was a child,' He spoke gravelly as he looked at his brother, 'Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant.'

He turns to look at Luna hopefully, 'If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the Bayou. You stay here with Hayley and the wolves and mind the fort.'

'So, I'm a babysitter now? Why can't we just let them fend for themselves?' Luna frowned, placing her hands on her hips. Klaus inched closer towards her, tilting his head to the side. She knew the answer; he knew why he wasn't keen on her coming with him. Nonetheless, he was prepared to remind her.

'I need you to stay clear of her,' A solemn expression took over his face as he stared deep into her eyes to solidify what he was saying in her mind. Luna averted her gaze, her eyes rolling to the back of her head, 'I'm serious, Luna. I won't lose you, I need you to steer clear of her.'

She looked over at him, her lips pursed, 'Fine,' She breathed out. His brows raised unconvincingly, staring down at her, 'I swear! I won't go after her.'

A small smile tugged on his lips before he pressed a small kiss on her forehead, 'Have fun babysitting.' He mocked as he walked out of the room.

She huffed loudly, turning to look at Elijah's body. She hated that she was envious of his state, knowing that if she was in his position, if Esther were to torture her with her thoughts: That would be her breaking point. Her train of thought came to a stop when Hayley spoke up from the doorway, 'You know, I'm shocked you just let him boss you around like that.' Hayley folded her arms over her chest, shaking her head mockingly.