Chapter 13. Close Quarters

"Check the west coast for the delivery. The tracking there is short, and you'll have easier access to the port to..." Seungcheol's voice cut through the murmur of the room, his tone brooking no argument.

He was more than just talking—he was commanding, eyes flicking from one man to the next, ensuring each would understand the gravity of the mission. There was no room for mistakes, not this time.

Seokmin's eyes drifted from the map on the table to his brother. Seungcheol’s sharp gaze and clipped words were so practiced, it almost seemed effortless.

Yet beneath the surface, tension simmered. He was preparing for war, not just a routine delivery. “The factory near Benkov Ent—is it abandoned?” Seokmin’s question sliced through the room, heavy with suspicion.

Seungcheol turned his gaze on him, eyes narrowing slightly. He hadn’t expected the question, nor the distraction from his carefully laid plans.

Another man stepped forward, his voice carrying the weight of information he’d hoped to keep buried. “Officially, it’s abandoned. At least, that’s what the government records show. But word on the street is there’s a drug racket running out of there, operating under the radar.”

Seungcheol’s eyes turned into slits, his jaw tightening as he processed the revelation. “A drug racket? Out of nowhere?” His voice was a low growl, a mix of disbelief and anger. The man nodded, fear flickering in his eyes as Seungcheol’s stare pinned him in place.

“Find out who’s behind it,” Seungcheol ordered, his voice cold as ice. “And make sure they know that they’re on borrowed time.”

“I don’t think Benkov Ent is the safest place to lay a blanket on,” Seungcheol’s voice cut through the tension, sharp and unyielding. His eyes flickered over to Seokmin, challenging him to argue. 

“If this is about—” Seokmin started, but Seungcheol’s curt tone interrupted. 

“It is.” 

Seokmin’s jaw tightened, frustration flashing in his eyes. “It’s been five years, Seungcheol. When exactly are you going to learn to move on?” His words were harsh, but his voice trembled slightly, a barely-contained fury bubbling beneath the surface. 

Seungcheol’s gaze didn’t waver. “This isn’t about the past. It’s about safety. Do you really think they’ll let us operate without causing trouble?” His tone was cold, calculated. It was always about the bigger picture with Seungcheol, about preventing the storm before it hit. 

Seokmin turned away, a bitter taste in his mouth. What happened back then was done, sealed away in the blood-soaked corners of their past. Neither of them could change it, bring back the dead, rewrite the tragedies that still haunted them. 

“His death is on both of us, but you can’t keep running from it,” Seokmin muttered, his voice thick with resentment. He didn’t meet Seungcheol’s eyes, the ghosts of their shared history hanging heavy between them. 

“You know he’ll go feral if he finds out we’re trying to build a business on the very ground where his brother died,” Seungcheol said, his voice a low murmur, but each word cut deep. Seokmin’s shoulders stiffened, the weight of Seungcheol’s words pressing down on him.

Silent didn’t mean harmless. Just because their old rival hadn’t made a move didn’t mean he wasn’t waiting for the right moment. And Seokmin knew the truth of it—revenge was a dish best served cold. 

“It’s true,” Seokmin admitted quietly, the anger in his voice giving way to resignation. “He’s still out there, watching. One wrong move, and he’ll see it as an invitation.”