Chapter 17. Paths interwind

"That's all, thank you so much." Joshua smiled, placing the groceries on the counter. The cashier returned his smile, a polite, rehearsed expression, as she began to ring up his items.

Joshua watched her work, the rhythmic beep of the scanner filling the silence between them.

He glanced at the overflowing bag she was packing. "They should start putting wheels on these bags," Joshua muttered under his breath as he dragged the bulky bag out of the store.

He tried to look casual, as if he weren’t struggling under its weight, but the strain showed in the tightness of his jaw. He wasn't weak; he just despised heavy lifting.

Today was grocery day, overdue by at least a week. He had meant to come earlier, on the day he ended up going to dinner with Seokmin.

But the thought of that evening was more enticing than the chore of grocery shopping, so he had pushed it back. And now here he was, regretting that decision as he hauled the overstuffed bag alone.

Dinner.

Joshua paused at the store's exit, his eyes narrowing as rain began to pour outside. "Great. Exactly when I forget my umbrella at home. Where are you when I actually bring my umbrella?" he muttered to himself, his gaze following the sheets of rain falling in relentless waves, mocking his misfortune.

He remained under the store's roof, unwilling to face the downpour. If he’d just gone grocery shopping that day, he wouldn’t be stuck here now, stranded by the rain.

That day. Dinner. Seokmin. The exchange of numbers. The kiss on the forehead.

Joshua’s breath hitched, and he set the grocery bag down, his eyes unfocused as they settled on the large, leafy tree across the street. The memory played on a loop in his mind, like a scene from a movie he couldn’t stop replaying.

That night, Seokmin's lips had brushed against his forehead, a gentle, unexpected touch that still sent a shiver down his spine.

He’d tried to convince himself that it meant nothing. Seokmin had probably done it in the heat of the moment and forgotten all about it.

It was meaningless—Joshua had told himself that over and over. Yet here he was, standing in the rain, replaying that single touch, feeling its ghost linger against his skin.

Maybe Seokmin had already moved on. Maybe it was just a casual gesture, nothing more. But then, why couldn’t Joshua stop thinking about it?

Joshua swallowed hard, his throat tightening around the lump that had formed. The rain's steady patter filled his ears, blending with the sound of his racing thoughts.

His fingers curled around the straps of the grocery bag, squeezing until his knuckles turned white. What was he doing? Standing here, letting a kiss on the forehead consume him? It was ridiculous. Childish, even.

He remembered the way Seokmin had smiled across the table, the flicker of candlelight making his features look softer, almost ethereal. That smile had seemed like a promise, like there was something deeper, hidden beneath the surface.

But Joshua knew better than to trust appearances. He had learned to guard his heart, to build walls so high that even he couldn’t see over them.

Maybe he was reading too much into things. Seokmin was kind to everyone; it was just his nature. Joshua tried to remind himself of that, but it didn’t ease the knot in his chest.

It didn’t explain the lingering warmth he felt whenever Seokmin was near, the way his presence seemed to fill up every empty space within him.

Joshua pressed a hand to his forehead, where Seokmin’s lips had touched. The ghost of that moment seemed to burn there still, an indelible mark only he could feel. It had been so brief, so innocent. And yet, it had unraveled him.