Chapter 10. New horizons

"Why do you drink black coffee?"

Seokmin pauses mid-stir, the question pulling him from his thoughts. His eyes lift to Joshua, who watches him with those wide, curious eyes.

"I'm sorry—was that rude of me?" Joshua quickly backtracks, fidgeting with his fingers.

The metal spoon clinks against the glass as Seokmin places it down, the sound oddly loud in the quiet café.

"No reason, really. It’s just a habit," Seokmin replies, his tone casual, though his eyes never leave Joshua’s.

Joshua makes an understanding face, and Seokmin, on impulse, pushes his cup toward him. "Do you want to try?"

Joshua hesitates but then takes the cup. The glass looks too big in his delicate hands, and as he brings it to his lips, Seokmin’s gaze locks onto the small drop that touches Joshua’s mouth.

It’s enough to make Seokmin want to grab him, to kiss those lips that now taste like bitter coffee.

Joshua is fucking ethereal. And Seokmin is hopelessly down bad for him.

The reaction is almost immediate. Joshua’s face contorts into a look of pure disgust, and Seokmin bites his lip to keep from smiling.

"It’s bitter," Joshua mutters, setting the cup down as if it’s offended him.

"It is," Seokmin agrees.

"I hate bitter things..."

I know.,

He knows Joshua inside and out, down to the smallest detail. Joshua, with his insatiable sweet tooth, keeps his house stocked with candies and sugary treats. He only drinks coffee if it’s cold, drowned in syrup and cream.

Anything remotely bland is met with a scrunched nose and a shake of the head. Joshua’s world is filled with bright colors—yellow and orange are his favorites, and his wardrobe is a testament to that, overflowing with those vibrant hues alongside soft, inviting pastels.

Late at night, Joshua curls up with a bowl of ice cream, indulging in dramas that always end on a happy note. He can’t handle spice—too much heat, and he’s pushing the plate away.

It’s frightening, the depth of Seokmin’s knowledge about him. He knows Joshua’s preferences, his quirks, his habits. He knows what makes him smile and what makes him frown.

And he knows that he’s been falling deeper and deeper into this dark obsession, watching, learning, yearning for something more.

"Bitter doesn’t suit you," Seokmin murmurs, leaning closer, his voice low and intimate. "You’re more of a caramel and strawberry kind of guy."

Joshua’s smile is soft, lighting up his face in a way that makes Seokmin’s pulse quicken.

It’s an innocent smile, so unaware of the storm brewing inside Seokmin, the way his hand clenches into a tight fist beneath the table to keep from reaching out, from taking what he so desperately wants.

Joshua doesn’t realize the danger he’s in, how close he is to a precipice he can’t see. Seokmin has held him before, in a fleeting, stolen moment, and the memory haunts him.