Chapter 14. Ready to love

“You're going on a date with who?”

Joshua cringed, pulling the phone away from his ear as Jeonghan's voice blared out. He set the phone down on the table, letting Jeonghan's voice echo through the speaker, while he focused on perfecting his makeup with a soft dab of his cushion. The light powder dusted his cheekbones, smoothing out the skin like porcelain.

“Dinner, Hannie,” Joshua replied, his voice laced with forced calmness. “And it’s with your brother-in-law.”

There was a rustling on the other end of the line, the sound of fabric moving, followed by Jeonghan’s voice, this time more incredulous. “My brother-in-law?”

Joshua hummed in confirmation, carefully blending the makeup along his jawline.

“As in Seungcheol’s brother?”

“Yes,” Joshua answered, setting the cushion down and reaching for his lip tint, its deep crimson shade gleaming under the room's dim light.

“As in Nexus Company’s second CEO?” Jeonghan’s tone held a tinge of disbelief now.

“Yes,” Joshua said again, his patience wearing thin.

“As in that lunatic of a man, Seokmin?” Jeonghan’s gasp echoed sharply, cutting through the air. Joshua sighed, his hand stilling for a moment as he stared at his reflection in the mirror.

“Yes, Hannie. Are you deaf?” he retorted, irritation slipping through his otherwise composed demeanor. He capped the lip tint, admiring the subtle color that now stained his lips.

The room was washed in the soft glow of the evening, casting long shadows across the walls. Seokmin would arrive at seven. Joshua's eyes flickered to the clock; he had an hour.

Joshua stepped back from the mirror, admiring his reflection. His skin was flawless, a smooth canvas that glowed faintly in the low light of his room.

The lip tint added just the right touch of color, a dark crimson that hinted at something dangerous yet alluring, a promise hidden behind a soft smile. His eyes were lined with kohl, the darkness bringing out the natural warmth of his gaze, now sharpened with a hint of something unreadable.

His outfit was simple yet refined, chosen carefully to walk the fine line between elegance and allure. The maroon silk shirt he wore clung to him like a second skin, the fabric shimmering as it caught the light.

He left the top few buttons undone, revealing a hint of the pale skin beneath, a deliberate decision to show just enough. A silver chain glinted around his neck, delicate but striking, catching the light with every movement.

Joshua's fingers lingered over his collarbone, feeling the steady pulse beneath his skin, a rhythm that seemed to quicken the longer he looked at himself.

His gaze traveled over his own reflection, studying the way the shadows played across his face, the way his eyes seemed darker, deeper, as if they held secrets no one else could fathom. There was a softness there, a gentleness that drew people in, but underneath, a darkness swirled, barely contained.

He slipped on a pair of slim black trousers that accentuated his long legs, completing the ensemble with a pair of polished shoes. Joshua gave himself one last glance in the mirror, a small, satisfied smile tugging at his lips.

He was ready, or at least he looked the part. He could feel the anticipation building in his chest, mingling with a strange sense of calm.

Joshua felt a strange excitement bubbling inside him about this exclusive dinner with Seokmin. There was a part of him that was looking forward to it, more than he wanted to admit.