Chapter 23. Gilded Secrets

“Done...” Joshua whispers to himself, setting the comb down with a delicate touch. He steps back, his eyes roaming over his reflection in the mirror. He was done.

Perfectly dressed in a ceramic Russian silk shirt that gleamed under the soft light, paired with black trousers that fit him like a second skin. His side bag rested casually on his shoulder, its strap cutting a diagonal line across his chest, completing his look.

Every detail was immaculate. His hair, his clothes, his posture—it was all deliberate, a carefully crafted illusion of effortless perfection. Tonight, he was ready. Ready to visit Seokmin's house for dinner.

He needed to be perfect. The kind of perfect that makes people stop and stare, breathless at the sight of him. He wanted to be unforgettable, an image that lingered in the mind long after he had left the room.

That kind of perfect.

Joshua turned and twisted in front of the mirror, his eyes scrutinizing every angle, making sure he looked just right. His phone suddenly buzzed on the counter, cutting through the quiet, and his heart leaped with anticipation.

The thought of being with Seokmin tonight, spending time in his house, his sanctuary, filled Joshua with a kind of nervous excitement. To see the place where Seokmin found peace, to learn more about his world—it was exhilarating.

He grabbed his phone, a smile spreading across his face as he saw Seokmin’s name flashing on the screen. Biting his lip, he felt a giddy, almost childlike thrill bubbling up inside him.

Joshua took a deep breath to steady himself before tapping the green button and raising the phone to his ear.

“Ready?” Seokmin’s dark, husky voice came through the line, sending a shiver down Joshua’s spine. Joshua closed his eyes for a split second, savoring the sound, before opening them again and licking his lips.

“Yes,” he replied softly. “Where are you?”

“Right outside your house,” Seokmin answered.

Joshua’s eyes widened, and he hurried to the window, lifting the curtain just enough to catch a glimpse of Seokmin standing below. Seokmin was dressed in a white shirt and black pants, his coat conspicuously absent.

Joshua let the curtain fall back into place, knowing full well that Seokmin hadn’t noticed him peeking.

“I’ll be right down,” Joshua said before ending the call. He placed a hand over his chest, feeling the rapid beat of his heart, and let out a dramatic sigh.

His cheeks warmed, a blush creeping up his face. He didn’t know why, but whenever Seokmin was near, he felt this way—mushy, lightheaded, almost vulnerable.

It was a good feeling. But it was also terrifying.

Was Joshua walking down the same path again? Was he setting himself up to get his heart broken? Memories of Hyunwoo surfaced, but he pushed them away.

Hyunwoo and Seokmin were two different people. They could never be the same. What he had with Seokmin was different, deeper somehow.

Joshua stepped outside, locking the door behind him, fully aware that Seokmin’s eyes were fixed on him. He ran his tongue over his lips, stealing a moment to compose himself before turning around.

With his gaze trained on the ground, he walked towards Seokmin, feeling uncharacteristically shy. For the first time, Seokmin's presence was making him feel like this—nervous and unsure, as if the ground beneath him could crumble at any moment.

Joshua approached Seokmin with slow, deliberate steps, the night air cool against his skin. He kept his eyes lowered, focusing on the sound of his footsteps echoing softly on the pavement, as if that would calm the fluttering in his chest.