Chapter 51. Bound by Secrets

Sunshine--

"You're just lying around. Get up and eat," Brandon’s voice cut through Joshua’s thoughts, pulling him out of his daze.

Joshua glanced up from the bed toward the doorway, where Brandon stood, arms crossed over his chest, wearing an apron.

For the past two days, Joshua had done nothing but drift aimlessly, barely moving from his spot, and Brandon had taken it upon himself to look after him.

Partly out of concern, and partly because he was avoiding going back to the dorm he shared with Nicolas. Staying with Joshua was easier, safer, and right now, he couldn’t leave his friend like this.

Joshua let out a soft sigh, pushing himself up slightly to rest his back against the headboard.

His body felt heavy, as though the weight of everything pressing down on him had seeped into his bones, making even the smallest movements feel exhausting.

He knew Brandon was just trying to help, but the emptiness he felt inside made it hard to care.

"I'm not hungry," Joshua muttered, staring blankly at the wall, his voice devoid of emotion.

Brandon frowned, walking into the room and setting a plate of food down on the nightstand. "You haven't eaten anything in two days, Josh. This isn’t healthy. You need to take care of yourself, even if everything feels like it's falling apart."

Joshua glanced at the plate but made no move to reach for it. His mind was elsewhere, replaying memories he wished he could forget—memories of Seokmin, of betrayal, of a trust so deeply shattered that he wasn’t sure he’d ever be able to recover.

"Who is he?" Brandon asked quietly, and Joshua closed his eyes, feeling the familiar weight of the question sink into him. He didn’t need to ask to know Brandon was talking about Seokmin. But what could he say? That they were friends? No, that would be a lie. Not after everything. Not after the betrayal. Brandon wouldn’t believe that.

"He’s the reason I came here," Joshua finally admitted, his voice uneasy, barely above a whisper.

He hated talking about it—hated reopening the wound that still bled every time he even thought about Seokmin.

Brandon’s gaze softened, his own problems momentarily set aside. "You don’t have to explain it all now. Just whenever you’re ready, I’ll listen," he reassured, reaching out to gently pat Joshua’s head.

The small gesture of comfort felt like a reminder of everything Joshua was trying to push away. He bit his lip, the knot in his throat tightening.

He wanted to talk, but every time he tried, it felt like his words got caught in that same knot, choking him.

A silence settled between them for a few moments until Brandon spoke again, his tone hesitant. "Nico called."

Joshua snapped his head toward him, frowning in confusion. "What?"

Brandon licked his lips, clearly uncomfortable. "He said he wanted to explain. Why he cheated... He said he had his reasons."

Joshua set his spoon down with a clatter, eyes narrowing. "Bran, don’t. Don’t put yourself through that. He cheated. That's all that matters."

Brandon nodded but didn’t meet his eyes, instead staring at the floor. "I’m not taking him back. I know that," he said softly, his voice trembling slightly.

"But I... I need to know why. Maybe hearing his reasons will help me let go."

Joshua’s heart twisted painfully at those words. "Bran—"