9: Back At Work

It was a peaceful afternoon in Japan, the sun casting a warm, golden light over Yuta's family estate. The sprawling gardens, meticulously maintained, were a haven of tranquility. Soonyoung, feeling relaxed and content, decided to take a walk around the grounds. As he strolled through the garden, he noticed a young boy, perhaps around six or seven years old, playing near a small koi pond. The boy was giggling as he tried to catch a butterfly, his laughter echoing through the quiet garden.

Soonyoung's heart softened at the sight. The boy's innocence and joy were contagious, and Soonyoung found himself smiling. Without hesitation, he walked over to where the boy was playing.

"Hello there," Soonyoung greeted warmly, crouching down to the boy's level. "What are you doing?"

The boy looked up at him with wide, curious eyes. "I'm trying to catch the butterfly," he said with a giggle, pointing at the colorful insect that flitted just out of reach.

Soonyoung chuckled. "It looks like it's having fun playing with you."

The boy nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! But it's so fast!"

"Would you like some help?" Soonyoung offered, his voice gentle. He extended a hand towards the boy, who smiled brightly in response.

Before Soonyoung could say anything else, he felt a sudden, firm grip on his arm. He turned to see Yuta standing there, his expression unusually tense, his face pale as if he had seen a ghost. The contrast to Yuta's usual calm, collected demeanor was startling.

"Soonyoung," Yuta's voice was low, almost strained. "Come with me."

Soonyoung blinked in surprise, not understanding Yuta's sudden urgency. "But, Yuta, I was just—"

"Now," Yuta interrupted, his tone leaving no room for argument. He tightened his grip on Soonyoung's arm, practically dragging him away from the boy.

Soonyoung, confused by Yuta's behavior, allowed himself to be led away. As they hurried back towards the main house, Soonyoung glanced over his shoulder at the boy, who was watching them with a puzzled expression. Once they were inside, Yuta shut the door behind them, his breathing slightly ragged.

"Yuta, what was that about?" Soonyoung asked, still bewildered. He had never seen Yuta act like this before.

Yuta hesitated for a moment, his eyes narrowing slightly as he searched for the right words. "That boy... he's just a maid's child," Yuta finally said, his voice cold and distant. "You shouldn't be wasting your time with him."

Soonyoung frowned, sensing that something was off, but he didn't press further. Yuta was rarely this curt, and it was clear that something about the situation had unsettled him deeply.

"But he seemed like such a sweet kid," Soonyoung said softly, trying to understand Yuta's reaction.

Yuta's expression darkened for a brief moment before he forced a smile, one that didn't quite reach his eyes. "He is, but he doesn't belong in our world, Soonyoung. It's better not to get involved."

Soonyoung, sensing Yuta's unease, nodded slowly. "Alright, I understand." He didn't want to push Yuta any further, especially when it was clear that something about the encounter had shaken him.

Yuta let out a small sigh of relief, his posture relaxing slightly. He reached out and gently took Soonyoung's hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "Let's focus on us, okay? There are things in this house, in my family, that are... complicated. I don't want you to get tangled up in them."

Soonyoung gave a small, understanding smile. "Of course, Yuta. I trust you."

Yuta's eyes softened as he looked at Soonyoung. "Thank you," he murmured, leaning in to press a kiss to Soonyoung's forehead. But even as he held Soonyoung close, his mind was elsewhere, the image of the boy lingering in his thoughts like a shadow he couldn't shake.

Soonyoung, sensing that Yuta needed comfort, wrapped his arms around him, offering a silent reassurance. He didn't know what had troubled Yuta so much about the boy, but he trusted that Yuta would tell him in time. For now, he was content to let it go, focusing instead on being there for Yuta, just as Yuta had always been there for him.

_

Taeyong stood at the front of the room, a large screen behind him displaying images and profiles of the Midnight gang members. The agents of the CBI, handpicked for their expertise and dedication, sat around the table, eyes fixed on their leader.

"Listen up, everyone. We have a new mission," Taeyong began, his voice steady and commanding. "Our target is the Midnight gang. We've been tasked with bringing down Choi Seungcheol and his associates."

The room buzzed with murmurs, agents exchanging determined looks. Taeyong continued, "This won't be easy. They're clever, ruthless, and well-connected. But we have something they don't expect: a fresh perspective and relentless determination. We'll need to be strategic, methodical, and unyielding."

Sungmin stepped forward, holding up a stack of files. "We'll divide into teams. Each team will focus on a specific member of the gang. Gather all the intel you can. Find their weaknesses. We'll coordinate our efforts and strike when they least expect it."

Taeyong looked around the room, meeting each agent's gaze. "This is our chance to make a difference. To take down a powerful criminal organization and restore justice. Let's get to work."

As the teams dispersed, Taeyong felt a surge of determination. The Midnight gang had evaded justice for too long. Now, it was their turn to feel the pressure.

As Taeyong walked down the hallway, his mind was a whirlwind of plans and strategies. The pressure of his new role as head of the CBI department weighed heavily on him. Lost in thought, he was startled by a familiar voice calling out to him.

"This won't be easy, huh?"

Taeyong looked up to see Kwon Soonyoung, a valuable member of their special forces, approaching with a friendly smile. "Soon, how you doing these days? Haven't seen you around, even on my promotion day?" Taeyong said, a smile forming on his lips as Soonyoung took a seat right beside him.

"Well, I was on a trip. You know, the last few days I had been working on the Busan illegal drug smuggling case and it's been hectic. Besides, Yuta wanted to go visit his parents as well. So we took a trip to Japan and honestly, it was great. We got to spend great time together," Soonyoung explained, his eyes lighting up at the mention of his boyfriend. Taeyong had known this lovely, smiley Soonyoung for years and had heard about how he met the love of his life, Yuta, randomly at a friend's wedding. Ever since then, they had been so in love. It was fair to say that sometimes Soonyoung's love life made Taeyong a bit envious, as it seemed like a fairytale.

"And I guess you're fine now?" Taeyong asked, noting the weariness that still lingered in Soonyoung's expression.

"Well, I was cursing the hell out of that stupid Lee Jihoon last month because of the whole drug smuggling. And now I'm here to solve a case related to the Midnight gang, when Jihoon is a fucking member of it. Dude doesn't seem to leave me in peace at all," Soonyoung yelled, his frustration evident.

Taeyong chuckled, patting Soonyoung on the back. "We've all got our burdens to bear. But this time, we have a chance to take them down for good. You know all the members are extremely cunning. We would need you and your experience to catch their mastermind, Choi Seungcheol."

"Yeah, you're right. Let's show them what we're made of," Soonyoung nodded, a determined glint in his eyes. "But isn't Jeonghan married to Seungcheol now? As far as I remember, you had—"

"That's all in the past. I did like Jeonghan and I met him last night as well, which made me realize I still like him. But you know I would never let anything come in between my duties," Taeyong said, his voice firm.

Soonyoung nodded, understanding the gravity of Taeyong's words. "It's going to be tough, Tae. We're up against some of the most dangerous people in the city. But we've got the skills and the determination to bring them down."

Taeyong's eyes hardened with resolve. "We need to be strategic. They're smart and ruthless. We can't afford any mistakes. But with you on the team, I know we have a fighting chance."

Soonyoung grinned, his usual optimism shining through. "Then let's get to work. We'll gather all the intel we can and plan our moves carefully. We'll take them down, one by one."