60: Back to Home

Jihoon had been away from the gang for what felt like ages. After everything that had happened with Soonyoung, his world had shifted in ways he hadn't anticipated. But deep down, Jihoon knew where he belonged. As much as he had tried to stay away from the Midnight mafia life, the pull of his old self was too strong. He missed the work, missed the thrill, and more than anything, he missed the camaraderie with his brothers.

And apparently, someone else had missed him too—someone who had been waiting eagerly for his return.

It was a warm afternoon when Jihoon finally walked back into the Midnight mansion. His usual confident, cold aura was still intact, though there was a certain softness in his expression. He glanced around, taking in the familiar surroundings. He hadn't realized just how much he missed it until now. The halls, the smell of cigars mixed with polished wood, the distant chatter of his fellow gang members—it all felt like home.

Before Jihoon could take another step, he heard a familiar voice booming from down the hall.

"LEE JIHOON!"

Seungcheol appeared, practically bursting out of his office, his face lit up with the biggest smile Jihoon had ever seen. Without a moment's hesitation, Seungcheol rushed toward him like a madman, arms outstretched. Jihoon's eyes widened, bracing himself for impact.

"Hyung—!"

But it was too late. Seungcheol scooped Jihoon up in a bone-crushing hug, spinning him around like a kid. Jihoon struggled in his grip, flailing as Seungcheol laughed heartily, refusing to let go.

"Put me down, you idiot!" Jihoon growled, his voice muffled as his face was squashed into Seungcheol's shoulder.

Seungcheol, of course, didn't listen. He was far too happy. "I can't believe it! I knew you'd come back, Jihoon! You missed me too much, didn't you?"

"Miss you?" Jihoon spat, wriggling in his grip. "I didn't come back for you! I came back because I—" He stopped himself, feeling his face flush slightly. He hated admitting things like this. "—because I have work to do."

Seungcheol set him down, though he was still grinning like an idiot. "Sure, sure. You just couldn't handle being away from your beloved hyung." He placed a dramatic hand over his heart. "It's okay. I know you love me."

Jihoon shot him a glare, brushing off his jacket and trying to regain his composure. "You wish."

Before Jihoon could escape, another voice chimed in.

"Ah, Jihoon's back!" Jeonghan sauntered in, a teasing smile on his lips. "And he brought a guest."

Jihoon tensed, looking behind him as Soonyoung stepped in through the door. The moment Jeonghan's eyes landed on Soonyoung, they lit up with amusement.

"Oh? Is this the infamous Ruby you've been telling me about, Jihoon?" Jeonghan teased, wiggling his eyebrows. Jihoon shot him a death glare, but Jeonghan just laughed, clearly enjoying himself.

Soonyoung awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck, clearly unsure of how to handle the situation. "Uh, hey guys," he greeted with a small wave. "I'm, uh, here too."

Seungcheol crossed his arms, still grinning like a proud father. "So, you brought him, huh? Guess that means we can stop pretending we're enemies now?"

Jihoon sighed, rolling his eyes. "Yes, we're past that now. Can you two stop being idiots for five minutes?"

But Seungcheol and Jeonghan were relentless. Seungcheol clapped Soonyoung on the back, nearly knocking him over. "Good to have you here, Soonyoung!" he said, emphasizing the nickname with a wink.