62: Whispers of Conquest

As the night wore on, the warmth of the celebration was palpable, wrapping around the guests like a blanket of familiarity and joy. Jeonghan and Seungcheol sat at their usual spot by the grand dinner table, sharing glances filled with silent understanding as they watched the unfolding moments. Soonyoung and Jihoon were practically glowing with their newfound relationship status, their happiness infectious to everyone around them. Laughter echoed through the room, drinks flowed freely, and the soft flicker of candlelight added an air of serenity to the evening.

But despite the merriment, Seungcheol couldn't help but feel the dull ache of absence tug at his heart. He glanced over at Jeonghan, who was smiling at something Soonyoung had said, his laughter like music that always calmed Seungcheol. Yet, beneath the surface, Seungcheol knew Jeonghan was thinking the same thing.

"I miss them," Seungcheol murmured, his voice low, meant only for Jeonghan's ears.

Jeonghan, ever the perceptive one, didn't miss a beat. His smile softened as he turned toward Seungcheol, his eyes filled with understanding. "I know," he said, reaching out to gently place his hand over Seungcheol's. "It's not the same without them, is it?"

Seungcheol shook his head slightly, leaning back in his chair. "Mingyu and Wonwoo... It feels like forever since they left for Italy. I can't believe they're not here for this. And Hansol, Chan... It's strange not having the maknaes causing some kind of chaos."

Jeonghan chuckled softly, his thumb brushing over Seungcheol's knuckles in a soothing motion. "You're so sentimental these days," he teased gently, though his tone held a deep affection. "But I get it. I miss them too."

Seungcheol's gaze drifted toward the empty seats at the table, the ones that should have been filled by their missing members. The gang—his family—felt incomplete tonight. Despite the joy, the love, and the celebration surrounding them, there was a small void in his heart that wouldn't be filled until they were all together again.

"Remember how Mingyu used to complain every time we had dinner together?" Seungcheol said, a soft smile tugging at his lips despite the ache in his chest. "He'd always say the food wasn't good enough and then secretly steal leftovers later."

Jeonghan laughed, his eyes crinkling at the memory. "And Wonwoo would just roll his eyes at him but end up eating twice as much. Those two are always such a mess together."

Seungcheol's smile faltered slightly as the memories washed over him. "Yeah... I miss that."

There was a moment of silence between them, the weight of their unspoken thoughts settling comfortably in the air. Jeonghan's hand tightened around Seungcheol's, offering quiet reassurance. "They'll be back," he said softly. "Mingyu and Wonwoo are probably causing havoc in Italy right now, and Hansol and Chan are living it up in the States. They'll be back before you know it."

Seungcheol nodded, though his heart still felt heavy. He knew Jeonghan was right, but the longing in his chest refused to fade. "I just... I hate not knowing when. We've been through so much together, and now that we're finally in a good place, it feels wrong not having everyone here."

Jeonghan's gaze softened, and he leaned closer, resting his head on Seungcheol's shoulder. "You're the glue that holds us all together, Cheol. That's why you feel it so deeply. But trust me, they miss us just as much as we miss them."

Seungcheol let out a slow breath, closing his eyes as he leaned into Jeonghan's touch. "I know... I just want us all to be together again. To laugh, to fight, to just... be."

Jeonghan smiled, pressing a gentle kiss to Seungcheol's shoulder. "We will be. This family isn't going anywhere. And when they come back, you'll be the first one to tackle them in a hug."