CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Kassia was a bit too stunned to speak

Everyone whispered and looked between the scene and her as Javier was arrested.

She didn't know it would be made so public.

Her father had told her earlier that day that the police were making headway in the investigation. Even then, she didn't think this would happen.

At first she just thought no one believed her because even when she made the report, nothing happened.

She was quiet but, it was disheartening to feel like no one was taking her seriously. She had to attend the same college as someone who had violated her. She had to see him in the hallways and not make a fuss.

She had to grin and bear it.

Even though breathing the same air as him made her feel sick.

She did throw up on some occasions. It was just too disgusting to see him moving on like nothing had happened. Her heart squeezed at the thought.

Lately she was starting to think that she had made a mistake when she had reported him.

She was staring to think her mother was right.

Until now.

Zara held Kassia's hand as they watched the scene quietly. Kassia was glad Zara was there. Even in the crowd full of people, it felt like Javier was glaring straight at her.

She needed Zara's tight grip to ground her. She didn't even fully know what she was feeling but, the extreme sense of relief veiled her.

She needed it. She needed to see that she was heard.
...

Not surprisingly, Kassia got called to the principal's office.

She was told that Javier was expelled from UCLA. An officer was there to tell her she was granted a restraining order against him.

So legally, Javier couldn't be around her.

And then right after that, she still had to focus her attention on the afternoon exam. She did just that but, it was still cruel to expect her to do her exams with so much on her mind.

Kassia didn't know what was next. She didn't know if Javier's parents would retaliate but, she did the right thing.

He hurt her. He could have hurt someone else.

Kassia was relieved to enter her home. She could hear people talking about what happened the whole day.

She just wanted quiet.

"Kassia."

Kassia jumped back a bit seeing her mother sat on the couch. Rosa stood up glaring slightly at her daughter.

"Mom?"

"Kassia, I told you not to make this a big deal - I don't understand why you want to continue making things hard for yourself. How long do you think it'll be before your name gets brought up in this? Do you know who Javier's parents are?"