WINGWOMANING OR NOT

ELIJAH'S POV

I tightened my grip on the steering wheel, knuckles whitening as the thoughts swirled in my mind. Elodie sat beside me, staring out the window, lost in whatever the therapist had dredged up in her session. She hadn't said much since we left the office, her silence heavy, almost tangible. It was killing me not knowing what was going on in her head.

I glanced over at her, trying to read her expression, but it was like looking at a locked door. The same door she kept shut between us, no matter how close we seemed to get. I cared about her more than she realized. More than I probably should. But she saw me as just a friend. I wanted to be that for her—I really did. But I wanted to be more too, and that scared the hell out of me.

I knew it wasn't the right time. She was dealing with so much, things I couldn't even begin to understand. She needed space, time to heal, not someone pushing her into something more, I understand that. But fuck, I wanted to be that person for her. The one to help her put the pieces back together, to show her what real love looked like. Not the mess of emotions she'd been through with Daniel, not the pain and confusion that clouded her life. Just something simple and pure.

But how could I ask for that when she was so far from being ready? I sighed, the sound louder than I intended.

Elodie: Everything okay?

Elijah: I should be the one asking you that. Are you okay?

She nodded, plastering a fake smile on her face. I hated those- her fake smiles. I could always tell the real ones from the fake. The real ones lit up her whole face, making her eyes crinkle at the corners and her dimples show just a little. Sometimes, her tongue would cover her teeth, but only for a second. That's what I longed to see. Not the smile I was getting at this moment. Not the smile that didn't reach those gorgeous eyes.

Elodie: I'm fine. Therapy was a lot tho

She spoke up softly, surprising me.

Elijah: Did she cross some boundaries? Cause I swear to God, I'll turn this car around and-

Her soft laugh tickled something in my brain. It made my heart contract, like I was having a stroke. There it was, the smile I was talking about before. The eyes that lit up the room.

Elodie: Shut up, you know you can't do shit to that lady

She rolled her eyes, earning an amused smile from me.

Elijah: So what happened?

Elodie shrugged

Elodie: Revisiting those bad memories will never be nice

I nod

Elijah: I'm here for you tho, always. Anytime you wanna talk

She sent me another one of those beautiful ass smiles, it was a sad one. Her eyebrows were slightly raised, making her eyes seem bigger.

Elodie: Fuck, I love your mom for making you

A loud, surprised laugh left my lips, causing her to begin laughing once again.

Elodie: I'm serious. If you told me a few weeks ago, we'd be this close, I'd tell you to fuck off. You're like this angel that just showed up. I don't deserve it.

Elijah: You do

ELODIE'S POV

While Elijah was setting up the canvases, I sent a quick message to Penn. I was excited about my role as cupid. Elijah and Penn would be so perfect together. They were both amazing souls, literal angels.

Elijah: Ready?

Elodie: Yeah

Elijah: Any idea what you're gonna paint?