DATE NIGHT

I love dressing up. I love makeup. I love doing my hair. I love watching my nail tech do my nails. And I absolutely love being the best-looking person in the room. So that was my exact mentality going into this date. I was thankful Elijah told me about the dinner a few hours ahead of time, so I could get myself together.

I took out the knotless braids and installed a strawberry blonde wig I'd recently bought. I decided to style it with curled ends and a deep side part to give it that soft, glamorous look.

My lash tech was fully booked, so I had no choice but to use strip lashes. Thankfully, my nail tech had a last-minute cancellation, and I snagged the spot. Gold chrome tips—it's hard to go wrong with those.

The dress I decided on was revealing—at least, that's what Kristine said when she first saw it. It was stunning, something I'd picked up while shopping with the girls. I paired it with a delicate gold body chain that wrapped around my waist and draped down my left thigh.

But my makeup? That was the real star of the show. I'd outdone myself, and I couldn't wait for Elijah to see me. Hopefully, he'd be left speechless.

Standing in front of the mirror, I admire myself from head to toe. I looked... gorgeous. It had been a while since I felt this way—maybe ever. This was new, exciting, and honestly, a little nerve-wracking. I don't think I've ever been on a real date before.

As I stared at my reflection, Kristine walked into the room.

Kristine: When were you going to tell me you and Elijah are- Ouuu, you look so beautiful, Elodie. Oh my God, where's my phone?

She fumbled around in her pockets, searching for her phone like her life depended on it. It made me laugh. Kristine was notoriously bad at taking pictures, yet she was always determined to snap them anyway.

Elodie: Are you mad?

Kristine: No, luv. I knew he liked you. I just didn't think you'd actually give that boy a chance.

I laughed, shaking my head.

Elodie: He's a sweetheart. I'm... not used to that.

Kristine: Well, I'm happy for you. If anything goes wrong, you know where to find me. I'll whoop him good.

I snorted, glancing over at Charlie, the tiny persian curled up on my bed. I reached down to scratch behind his ears, and he purred in his sleep.

Kristine: So, where are you two going tonight?

Elodie: I have no idea. He hasn't told me yet. Speaking of which, where is he?

Kristine sent me a cheeky smile, making me squint.

Kristine: I wouldn't be a good mother if I told you.

I rolled my eyes, then reached for my favorite perfume—Scandal by Jean Paul Gaultier. I spritzed it on my wrists, neck, behind my ears, and ankles. The sweet, sultry scent filled the room, giving me that final touch of confidence.

Kristine was staring at me again, and I raised a brow.

Elodie: What?

I asked, a hint of curiosity in my voice. I wondered for a moment if something was off with my outfit or makeup, but Kristine's lips curled into a gentle smile. Her expression softened, a small smile tugging at her lips.

Kristine: I'm just so proud of you, El. You've come so far.

My heart swelled, and I felt a rush of warmth wash over me. I smiled back, stepping forward to hug her tightly.

Elodie: Thanks to you and your family

Kristine hugged me back, rocking us gently from side to side. For a moment, everything felt right.