Airports Pt. 2

The streets were virtually empty as we rode in silence on the way to the airport.

Taylor was driving Star, Jack, and Jack. Shawn drove Ashely, Sammy, and Nate. Matt was driving me, Nash, and Aaron, and Chris drove Liz, Cam, and Carter.

I clutched Matt's hand as he stroked his thumb across the top of my hand to calm me. I never wanted to let go.

I also knew I needed to get back to my mom.

Despite our differences, she was my mother, and I loved her so much.

I knew my friends felt the same way about their parents too.

We had tried like hell to get more out of Cady, but she was too broken up to speak. She though it was all her fault.

Once we hit the airport, we ran through baggage and stood at the loading gate, and I turned to Matthew.

His face was red and a frown was planted firmly on his lips. I felt my eyes well up, and it kinda made me mad.

I wasn't supposed to get so attached. The girls and I had agreed on maybe a fling... and with a few different guys.

What happened in L.A. was supposed to stay in L.A. and it clearly wasn't.

He brushed the back of his hand across my cheek and caught a tear that had escaped. I was trying not to cry.

I had to go home, and he had to stay. I turned my face away, and looked to my friends.

Star was downright sobbing into Taylor, and Shawn was rocking an upset Ashely.

I watched as Chris tucked a stray curl from Liz's face behind her ear, as she tried to keep her face unemotional.

She was always the calm one, the peacekeeper. But now, she was even having trouble keeping her composure knowing she had to say goodbye.

I looked toward the gate that would take us home, and knew it was almost time.