Magcon

I woke to the sound of my phone ringing.

It was Matt's ringtone - Demons by Paris Blohm.

I let it ring, and I saw I had 7 missed calls and 5 texts from him.

I ignored my phone and found Star asleep next to me and Ashely and Liz passed out on the other bed. I got up slowly and headed for the bathroom.

I looked like crap.

I hopped in the shower, washing away all that happened the previous night, and tiptoed back in the room to get in a pair of black shorts and my sophomore year chorus shirt.

I didn't even put on shoes, I just grabbed my phone and headed down to the lobby.

I needed some air.

The perks of having the beach walking distance away...

I dragged my feet through the sand and felt the water lap my toes a few times before I sat on one of the dunes. I finally decided to read my messages and check my voicemail.

Dakota I am so sorry please just let me explain.

Talk to me.

Kota if you just let me explain I was going to have to tell you eventually...

Please, I want to do this in person.

I get that you don't want to talk to me, but just hear me out.

I dialed a 1 on my phone and listened to the one voicemail he left.

"Dakota, I'm sorry." He sighed. "I should have told you the first time we met. It was just amazing to have someone like you in my life. I'll explain everything if you just give me the chance."

Click.

That was when I did what Liz would have considered a really dumb move.

I dialed his number and asked him to meet me where we had our first date.

I hung up the phone and walked to the tree. I sat under the shade and closed my eyes and waited.

I heard footsteps and saw him walking toward me. He looked just as bad as me.

"Hey."

"Hi."

I sighed and we looked at each other for a good five minutes before I motioned for him to speak.

"Okay," he said blowing air out of his cheeks. "I don't know how to tell you this."

I gave him a look, but stayed absolutely silent.

He nodded and continued.

"So my name is Matthew Espinosa. Of course thats true. I mean, I didn't lie to you about anything, I just didn't give you the whole story," he said eyeing me. "Have you ever heard of a group called Magcon?" he asked.

"Matt, where is this going?" I asked him, suddenly tired.

"Here, its better to show you," he said pulling out his phone.

The same phone we had taken tons of selfies on and shared numerous texts and phone calls.

The phone we hooked to the car stereo and found out we had the same taste in music.

He typed for a second and handed it to me. He had googled "Magcon" and he gestured for me to explore.

It was a Vine thing.

Sure, I knew of Vine. I didn't live under a rock, but I was not a big social media person.

I guess that's why I'd never heard of Magcon.

I was shocked.

They were all there. Taylor, Shawn, Matt, Nash, and all the others. Only Chris was left out, but we knew he was the host at Brixx.

I looked up at him and it all made so much more sense.

Taylor asking about autographs the first day we met. The girls from Asiana.

Oh, Eloise.

It was then that I realized I didn't care if he was the President of the United States.

"So you don't want your fans to see us together," I stated.

"Its not that at all," he responded. "I just don't want you to carry the weight that comes with it."

I couldn't believe it.

"Matthew Lee Espinosa, I am a big girl and I think I can make my own decisions," I said trying to keep calm.

The fact that he was practically famous didn't bother me, but how he  assumed I couldn't handle the responsibilities that came with it stung.

"I never said you couldn't," he said rubbing his forehead. "I just know how they can be, and I didn't want to do that to you," he continued.

I stood up and walked to where he stood. "I'm sorry," I said, hoping he understood.

He looked up as I approached and I allowed him to wrap his arms around me.

I felt terrible for doubting his loyalty. I should have just asked him, but he should have told me from the beginning.

Part of me was still a little hurt, but the other part of knew why he didn't tell me.

He wanted someone to like him for him, not because of his fame.

"Me too."

It was then that I laughed. Matt looked at me confused.

"Now... you know that I don't keep anything from my girls right?"

He joined in my laughter and buried his face in my hair.

"So does this mean we're okay?" he asked.

I nodded and laughed again, wondering how my friends were going to react.

Hopefully better than me.

"You wanna take me back Mr. Espinosa?"

"Of course I will Ms. Preston," he smiled as he kissed me and took my hand, leading me to his Jeep.

Looks like I get to give the biggest surprise of all, huh?