30 -

Ellie and Billie arrived alone in the apartment lobby, Shark wagging his tail excitedly beside them. Joan, who had realized a bit late that he left his car at the café, quickly explained that he would walk to retrieve it. Billie had offered to drop him off, but he insisted on refusing.

"Don't worry, it'll be good exercise for me, I really need it, and it gives you some time to settle in," he said with a smile before heading out.

The girls exchanged amused glances at Joan's always laid-back attitude, then headed up the stairs together to the apartment.

"He's so funny," Billie said, laughing as they climbed the stairs.

"He's been like this forever, a bit lost, but he's the coolest guy I know," Ellie replied, smirking.

Once in front of the apartment door, Ellie barely turned the key in the lock when Livaï, her dog, burst out of the entrance, overjoyed to see Shark. Shark, who had been waiting for this moment, tried to jump in return. Although Billie tried her best to hold onto the leash, she quickly lost control, and the dog dashed straight toward Livaï. They immediately started running all over the entrance, knocking over a shoe and nearly crashing into Ellie.

"Wow!" Billie exclaimed, laughing as she tried to catch her breath after the dog frenzy. "Sorry, I thought I could hold him."

Ellie burst out laughing too.

"Don't worry, it was expected, Livaï is the same way, impossible to stop when he's excited. They're going to be a handful together."

After a few minutes of chasing, the dogs began to sniff each other and circle around the room, creating a chaotic but adorable canine ballet. Meanwhile, Ellie suggested giving Billie a little tour of the apartment.

"Come on, I'll show you my palace," she offered, gesturing to the different rooms.

Billie followed Ellie, taking in everything attentively. She marveled at the decor, which mixed modern touches with some vintage elements. In the living room, her gaze stopped on a frame hanging on the wall. It contained a newspaper clipping, a press article from a Detroit paper discussing Billie's concert and mentioning the photos taken by Ellie.

"Oh, this is so cool!" Billie said as she approached the frame. "You framed the article? That's the one with your photos, right?"

Ellie blushed slightly, embarrassed.

"Yeah, that's the one, Joan hung it up after buying it. It was a significant moment in my life, our first meeting, remember?"

Billie smiled, her eyes shining with a mix of nostalgia and amusement.

"Of course I remember, good thing you didn't find the way to the bathroom that day."

Ellie smiled, feeling a bit more relaxed as the conversation continued. But despite Billie's sweet words, she couldn't shake off the tension of having her friend in her intimate space. She wanted everything to be perfect, for Billie to feel comfortable, but she realized she might be overdoing it a little.

"Do you want something to drink? Water, tea? I can make you something if you want," Ellie offered, trying to seem casual.

Billie noticed her slight discomfort, and with her usual gentleness, she placed a light hand on Ellie's shoulder.

"Ellie, it's okay, relax. I'm really comfortable here, honestly. We're just friends hanging out, alright?" she said with a reassuring smile.

Billie's calm tone and gentleness melted some of the tension Ellie had built up. That soothing voice, capable of comforting anyone, seemed to erase all the worries she had.

"Sorry, I don't even know why I'm stressing."

"It's my charm that intimidates you, I'm used to it," Billie replied with a wink.

Ellie smiled, surprised by her guest's modest comment.

"I have a little doubt about that."

The two girls settled in the living room, where the dogs, still exploring, calmed down a bit. Billie leaned down to pet Shark and exchanged a knowing look with Ellie.

"I think they're happy too. We really should have introduced them sooner."

Ellie nodded, finally feeling at ease with Billie and their dogs. It felt as if the last weeks of the tour had evaporated, leaving space for this simple and pleasant moment.

Before long, the front door opened again, and Joan entered, accompanied by Aubrey, who had just finished her shift at the café.

"Is this where the party is?" Joan said as he walked in. "I thought I was going to get stuck in traffic coming back, but we survived!"

Aubrey, still cheerful, immediately came over to greet Billie.

"Hey, I'm Aubrey! I've seen you a thousand times through Ellie's camera, but seeing you in person is even more impressive."

Billie smiled, still modest despite Aubrey's enthusiasm.

"Hey, Aubrey. Thanks again for having me in your place."

After the introductions, Joan suggested organizing Billie's things in the guest room. Everyone pitched in to help her settle in, laughter and jokes flying as Billie and Shark explored the cozy, slightly quirky apartment.

Ellie watched the scene, her thoughts lingering on the feeling of familiarity that had settled among them. This was no longer the international star in front of her, but a precious friend, someone she cherished for her simplicity and generosity.

Finally, once everything was in place, they all gathered in the living room, ready for a quiet evening. Billie stretched and flopped onto the couch.

"I think this is the best place I could be for this break. It feels so good to be disconnected here" she said with a genuine smile.

Ellie, sitting next to her, felt a wave of satisfaction wash over her. This moment, though simple, was exactly what she needed after those weeks on tour.