39 -

Ellie walked Billie to her car, Livaï joyfully trotting alongside them. The atmosphere was calm, tinged with that slight melancholy that comes with knowing a separation, even a temporary one, is approaching. They'd see each other again soon, but it didn't stop the pang in their hearts lingering between them. As they reached the car, they paused, and a heavier silence settled in.

Ellie turned to Billie, a faint smile on her lips. "Safe travels, and take care of yourself."

Billie smiled back, just as tenderly. "Don't worry about me, just make sure you're ready for Melbourne."

They hugged, and the embrace lingered a moment longer than necessary, as if neither of them wanted to let go. "We'll see each other in less than two weeks," Billie added, climbing into the car, a final smile exchanged between them.

Ellie stood still for a moment, watching the car drive away. A mix of nostalgia and anticipation swelled within her. She knew they'd see each other soon, but something about this goodbye left her with a strange feeling. Livaï brushed against her legs, bringing Ellie back to reality. She took a deep breath, pulling herself together. The thought of her imminent departure for Melbourne filled her with nervous excitement. It would be her first trip outside the United States, and there was so much to prepare.

Back home, Ellie sat at her desk, determined to organize her trip. Passport, visa, reservations... suddenly, everything seemed more complicated than expected. She quickly realized she'd need a little help. After fumbling with the various documents and travel requirements for a few minutes, she thought of Kate. Kate would also be joining them in Melbourne for the next leg of the tour, and since she'd traveled a lot before, she'd probably be the best person to help. Ellie grabbed her phone and dialed her number.

"Hello?" Kate's cheerful voice answered on the other end.

"Hey, Kate, it's Ellie! How are you?"

"Ellie! So good to hear from you! I'm great, I'm on vacation with my boyfriend, soaking up the sun. And you? Ready for the big Australian adventure?" Kate replied enthusiastically.

Ellie smiled at the sound of her friend's voice. "That's actually why I'm calling. I'm getting a bit confused with all the admin stuff. Could you help me organize it all?"

Kate burst into laughter. "Ah, the joys of international travel! Don't worry, I'll make you a little list of everything you need to do, so you can handle it all without stressing."

"Thanks, you're a lifesaver! This is my first time leaving the U.S., and I'm kind of freaking out since I'm the worst at organizing," Ellie admitted, laughing.

"Don't worry, we'll sort it out together. I'll send you all the details. I'm half-naked on a beach in Tulum right now, so let me finish tanning and I'll get it done for you," Kate added with her usual enthusiasm.

Ellie sighed in relief. "Thank you, you're the best! How's Tulum?"

"Oh, it's gorgeous! Sun, beach, cocktails... What more could you ask for?" Kate said lightly. "But I can't stop thinking about Melbourne. It's going to be such an adventure. I'm so glad we're going together!"

Ellie felt instantly reassured knowing Kate would be there with her in Melbourne. "I'm glad you're coming too. We're going to have such a great time. By the way, I haven't even told you..." She paused, hesitating for a second, then continued, "Billie surprised me in Portland."

"What?! I had no idea! Was that planned?" Kate exclaimed, surprised.

Ellie smiled at the memory. "No, not at all. She just showed up, unannounced. She came to Portland with her dog. We spent a lot of time together, it was pretty nice."

"That's amazing!" Kate responded, clearly happy for her. "You two have gotten closer, haven't you?"

Ellie felt a slight warmth rise in her cheeks. "Yeah, you could say that. We've had some... pretty cool moments, I guess."

Kate burst into laughter. "Oh, you 'guess'? I sense there's more to this story! I won't make you spill everything... not just yet, anyway," she teased.

Ellie laughed, feeling lighter after the conversation. "Don't worry, I'll tell you everything when we meet up."

"I can't wait!" Kate replied, still as excited. "We're going to have an amazing time, I just know it. I'll get that list to you, and you'll be all set to tackle Australia stress-free."

They chatted for a while longer, sharing their expectations for the trip and everything they were excited to discover once they got there. Ellie finally hung up with a smile, her heart feeling lighter. With Billie and Kate by her side, this trip was bound to be unforgettable.

As she thought back to Billie's surprise visit in Portland, Ellie realized how much it had impacted her. As the memories of that evening came back to her in vivid detail, the moments of flirting, the intense glances, and the subtle touches made her smile. Even though she had never imagined her relationship with Billie taking this turn, something had definitely intensified between them.

As she reflected on it all, she couldn't help but wonder what Melbourne had in store for them. Their dynamic had changed, and even though nothing concrete had happened yet, Ellie felt that things might evolve.

The day came to a close as Ellie finished the initial preparations for her trip. She felt more ready than ever for this new adventure.